Inspired by our past to help shape your future
With 50 years of academic excellence behind us as a University, we have continued to grow our international reputation and course provision. We have always been pioneers in developing new course subjects, reflecting and anticipating the needs of employers, our students, and of society as a whole.
Bradford was the first university outside London to offer part-time degree courses, and our courses are designed in response to the changing business, social, scientific and environmental landscape.
From the first modern Business School, which has an international reputation, to the first Peace Studies degree, we continue to offer relevant, practical and useful learning for all our students.
Today our associations with employers have expanded across the globe. Our collaborations range from associations with local employers through our employer engagement initiatives, to overseas partnerships including those in Singapore, Brunei, Malaysia, Pakistan and India.
Strategies, Policies, Mission and Values
Everything the University does, no matter how small, forms a part of our mission as an institution and our corporate strategy.
Our values and policies are in place to make sure that, in achieving our goals, we do so as fairly and as well as possible.
- 9,829 students in the 2017/18 academic year (includes undergraduate, postgraduate, research and distance learning students – UK and overseas)
- 21% of our students are from outside the UK representing 127 countries
- Over 130,000 alumni
- Our alumni are in more than 175 countries worldwide
- 1652 staff
- 10.9% of staff are from overseas
- 357 members of academic staff, from a range of discipline areas, have been awarded a Higher Education Fellowship from the Higher Education Academy (HEA) (33 Associate Fellows, 295 Fellows, 22 Senior Fellows, 3 Principal Fellows and 4 National Teaching Fellows)
Ecoversity is the University of Bradford’s programme of embedding sustainable development across everything that we do.
It is an ambitious and visionary programme creating change across the whole of the University.
Ecoversity is not just about how we build and run our estate or just the environment - it is also about:
- How we embed sustainable development into the formal and informal learning experience of all our students
- Involving all our staff, students and visitors
- Addressing our social responsibilities
- Fostering a sense of community and engendering wellbeing
Our award-winning sustainable campuses are a green oasis in the urban centre of Bradford. We have some of the world’s most environmentally friendly buildings, loads of edible planting and prime places for relaxing and learning informally about sustainability. See our virtual campus here.
We have been working hard through sustainable refurbishment, construction, building management and renewables to bring down our carbon footprint. We are making great strides towards our 50% reduction target by 2020 having already saved over 30% since 2005. Find out more about our Our Initiatives here.
We have been using the UNESCO framework to define our approach to ESD and have adopted formal requirements for ESD to be articulated in the Course Approval and Review Process (CARP).
The Centre for Sustainable Environments involves a dedicated team of specialists from across the University who are developing the knowledge and capabilities that will enable more sustainable environments to be created.
Ecoversity is all about community on campus and how it interacts with the local population of Bradford. Find out about a community partnerships team, students union and sports centre.
This school offers programs in: