Anglia Ruskin University has its origins in the Cambridge School of Art opened in 1858 by John Ruskin. In 1960 this became the Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Technology (CCAT). In 1989 CCAT merged with the Essex Institute of Higher Education to form the Anglia Higher Education College. The merged college became a polytechnic in 1991, using the name Anglia Polytechnic, and was then awarded university status in 1992.The University chose Anglia Ruskin University the new name after the approval of the Privy Council in 2005.
It is one of the largest universities in the East of England, and one of the largest providers of face-to-face part-time training in the country.In the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008, more than 30% of Anglia Ruskin’s submissions were rated as Internationally Excellent or World-Leading.
The University jumped 35 places in the Times Higher Education tables following the announcement of the outcome of the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) results.It was shortlisted for the Outstanding Employer Engagement Initiative Award at the Times Higher Education Awards 2008.In 2010, was rated 10th in the "Green League" of British universities, compiled by People and Planet.
It is based on two main campuses, one in the centre of Cambridge, and one in Chelmsford, Essex. The main campuses at Cambridge and Chelmsford attract students not only from the East of England.
Chelmsford campus is set in the green and lush Rivermead area of Chelmsford, our campus is home to the largest business school in the eastern region - Ashcroft International Business School (AIBS) based in the award-winning Michael A. Ashcroft Building.
A real highlight of our Cambridge campus is the Ruskin Gallery.The college also deliver courses at partner sites: University Centre Harlow, University Centre Peterborough and University Centre West Anglia. Our Faculty of Health and Social Care also has sites at Fulbourn on the outskirts of Cambridge and in Peterborough.