Michigan Tech will lead as a global technological university that inspires students, advances knowledge, and innovates to create a sustainable, just, and prosperous world.
We deliver action-based undergraduate and graduate education and discover new knowledge through research and innovation. We create solutions for society’s challenges through interdisciplinary education, research, and engagement to advance sustainable economic prosperity, health and safety, ethical conduct, and responsible use of resources. We attract exceptional students, faculty, and staff who understand, develop, apply, manage, and communicate science, engineering, and technology to attain the goal of a sustainable, just, and prosperous world. Our success is measured by accomplishments and reputation of our graduates, national and international impact of our research and scholarly activities, and investment in our University.
GOAL 1: An exceptional and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff.
1.1 Exceptional academic and professional community.
- recruit, support, recognize and graduate bright, motivated, and adventurous students;
- attract, retain, and support faculty and staff by providing recognition, rewards, and competitive compensation;
- provide professional development and leadership opportunities for students, faculty, and staff.
1.2 Diverse, inclusive, and collegial environment.
- promote inclusiveness and collegiality through openness, engagement, mutual respect, and understanding of diverse perspectives;
- provide a rich cultural environment and a welcoming campus;
- develop and implement initiatives to increase the diversity of students, faculty, and staff;
- pursue opportunities for dual-career faculty and staff;
- enhance work-life balance for all members of our community.
1.3 Exceptional services and infrastructure.
- promote a university-wide culture of safety, responsiveness, effectiveness, and efficiency;
- provide exceptional technology, library, and laboratory facilities that support education, research, and innovation;
- create an aesthetic, sustainable, and effective infrastructure.
GOAL 2: A distinctive and rigorous action-based learning experience grounded in science, engineering, technology, sustainability, business, and an understanding of the social and cultural contexts of our contemporary world.
2.1 Integration of instruction, research, and innovation to achieve the University Student Learning Goals.
- provide research, service-learning, project-based, entrepreneurial, and international opportunities for students;
- promote mutual appreciation and collaborative opportunities across academic disciplines;
- continually review and update existing programs and develop new offerings in emerging disciplinary and interdisciplinary areas.
2.2 Transformative educational experience grounded in a residential-based technologically rich learning environment.
- encourage and support high quality, innovative, and effective instruction and experiences to enhance student learning;
- contribute to students’ development and application of critical thinking skills, creativity, leadership, collaborative skills, and ethical reasoning;
- enhance student learning through activities that promote long-term physical and mental health;
- foster healthy relationships and the ability to productively manage conflicts;
- enhance students’ communication skills as well as information, technology, and global literacies;
- encourage social responsibility and the understanding of public policy issues.
2.3 Education that responds to the needs and challenges of the 21st century.
- expand Ph.D. and master’s enrollments, degrees awarded, and scholarly productivity;
- improve access via non-traditional delivery of graduate programs;
- promote lifelong learning by providing opportunities for continuing education using appropriate delivery models.
GOAL 3: Research, scholarship, entrepreneurship, innovation, and creative work that promotes a sustainable, just, and prosperous world.
3.1 Growth in research, scholarship, and creativity.
- increase external support for research, scholarly, and creative activities;
- recognize and reward our accomplishments and promote them both internally and externally;
- encourage and support interdisciplinary activities;
- cultivate a community of research inspiration, productivity, and excellence;
- increase development and optimize maintenance of shared research facilities, equipment, and infrastructure;
- facilitate coordination of research activities to address problems of social significance;
- improve efficient management and administration of externally funded activities.
3.2 Economic and social development and innovation.
- create a culture of responsible innovation and entrepreneurship and expand entrepreneurship in undergraduate and graduate programs;
- support workforce development and social engagement through collaborative outreach and technology transfer;
- encourage and support technology commercialization and start-up businesses;
- expand international and cross-cultural engagement with universities, industries, non-governmental organizations, and governments.
This school offers programs in: