Hope College is a four-year liberal arts college where academic excellence and vibrant Christian faith join together in a supportive and welcoming community.
Hope’s campus is nestled in the heart of downtown Holland, just miles from Lake Michigan. We’ve been part of this community for more than 150 years, growing from the 10 students who enrolled in 1862 to more than 3,300 students on campus today.
From the beginning, Hope College has looked to the future. Here, historic architecture fits comfortably with world-class facilities: Van Vleck Hall, built in 1857, is just a block from our Pelletron particle accelerator.
Our commitment to our Christian heritage (founded in partnership with the Reformed Church in America) points us to the deepest engagement in academics and in life.
This rare combination of deep roots and rigorous preparation for the world of tomorrow equips Hope students to go into the world and make an impact in their communities.
Of the Class of 2017:
- 94% was in the workforce or graduate school within six months
- 86% of those employed full-time are employed in their field of study
- 96% participated in experiential learning
- 57% had at least one internship experience
- 55% had an off-campus study experience
Our name and seal are drawn from the Rev. Albertus C. Van Raalte, who said of the school that would become Hope: “This is my anchor of hope for these people in the future.” Van Raalte co-founded Hope College with Philip Phelps Jr., who was its first president.
This symbolism follows the language of Hebrews 6:19: "We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." Our motto, taken from Psalm 42:5, echoes the sentiment: Spera in Deo (Hope in God).
Recognized for excellence by:
America's Top Colleges (Forbes)
- The Princeton Review
- Fiske Guide to Colleges
- Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
- All-American Colleges: Top Schools for Conservatives, Old-Fashioned Liberals and People of Faith
- Putting Students First: How Colleges Develop Students Purposefully
- The Insider's Guide to Colleges
49423 Holland, Michigan, USA