Not your typical four-year university.
D.S.U. was founded in 1881 as a school for teacher education in the Dakota Territory. Today, we're one of the most technologically advanced campuses in the Midwest. A public university, we are governed by the South Dakota System Board of Regents and accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
We specialize in computer management, computer information systems, and other related undergraduate and graduate programs. We stay true to our roots by placing special emphasis on the preparation of teachers with expertise in the use of computer technology in the teaching and learning process. We have more than 45 majors to choose from, plus a robust graduate program.
We’re located in Madison, South Dakota. It’s a bustling community with a friendly, small-town feel. You can take a tour of our campus online or arrange a campus visit.
Our total enrollment for Fall 2017 was 3,307 with 381 first-time undergraduate freshmen.
On campus and online, we work to keep class sizes small. The student-faculty ratio is just 17.4:1. For students who can’t make it to our main campus, we offer courses online or through University Center - Sioux Falls.
D.S.U. is a member of the North Star Athletic Association (N.S.A.A.), a division of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (N.A.I.A.). Our mascots are the D.S.U. Trojans and the Lady T’s, and we’re represented by twelve sports teams.
D.S.U. provides learning that integrates technology and innovation to develop graduates ready to contribute to local, national, and global prosperity.
Building upon its distinctive mission, D.S.U. will become:
- The university of choice for those seeking a student-centered institution that offers innovative programs grounded in teaching, research, technology, scholarship, and service excellence.
- An academic community that serves as an economic engine in local, national, and global markets.
- A campus recognized for its achievements in continuous quality improvement.
- Student success.
- University-wide Excellence.
- Distinction in Teaching, Scholarship, and Service.
- Academic Freedom and Integrity.
- Diversity, Respect, and Inclusion.
- Continuous Improvement.
- Community, Collaboration, and Communication.
- Technology and Innovation inside and outside the classroom.
Work with the latest technology.
Who wants to learn in an outdated classroom? At D.S.U., we focus on providing the technology you’ll actually use in your career. We focus on practical training.
Because of this, our students see greater success. Our reputation for producing qualified workers makes employers seek D.S.U. graduates. It also keeps our overall placement rate at 99% for the latest graduating class—with many of majors seeing a 100% placement rate.
This isn’t your grandparents’ classroom.
Our students work with professional technology. Our newly renovated Science Center offers the latest in chemistry, biology, and physics labs that prepare students for jobs at Hematech, NASA, Los Alamos and other leading scientific organizations.
But it’s not just science. All of our majors and programs are infused with the latest technologies inside and outside of the classroom.
- All classroom seats have power outlets.
- High-end computer labs, including our game design and hacker labs.
- SMART boards.
- iPads, Kindles, and Chromebooks.
- 3D printers.
- Starfish Early Alert System.
- Industry-standard software for programs like Digital Arts & Design and Computer Game Design.
- 24/7 access to several buildings via hand scanners.
- All students receive a laptop as part of our laptop program.
On top of that, D.S.U. is an academically rigorous four-year institution that rivals any private school in the region and costs less.