UNN is one of the top classical universities in Russia. As an innovative university, the University of Nizhni Novgorod provides high-quality research-based education in a broad range of academic disciplines. The combination of high educational quality and accessibility of education due to a great variety of academic programs and forms of training is a distinctive feature of the University. By the decision of the Russian Government, UNN was awarded the prestigious status of a National Research University in 2009.
The University has over 30,000 students including approximately 1000 postgraduate (Ph.D.) and postdoctoral students. At the University of Nizhni Novgorod, academic education is based on research.
UNN is a regional knowledge integrator. UNN is a member of the European University Association (EUA).
The Faculty for International Students of UNN was opened in 2005.
UNN. Try your best!
UNN at a glance
Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod (UNN) is one of the biggest universities in Russia. It was established in 1916.
- 1000 doctoral students
- 1200 Associate & Assistant Professors
- 400 Professors
- 30,000 students from 97 countries
- 19 Faculties & Institutes
- 6 Research Institutes
- 570 teraflops supercomputer
Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod (UNN) consists of 5 institutes – Institute of International Relations and World History (IIRWH), Institute of Economics and Entrepreneurship (IEE), Institute of Biology and Biomedicine, Institute for Postgraduate and Doctoral Studies and Institute of Military Training – as well as 14 faculties – those of Chemistry, Radiophysics, Physics, Mechanics and Mathematics, Computational Mathematics and Cybernetics, Philology, Law, Social Sciences, Physical Education and Sports, Preparatory Faculty, Faculty for Regional Personnel Training, Minor Academy of Public Administration and Advanced School of General and Applied Physics.
UNN has a close collaboration with the Nizhny Novgorod Scientific Center of Russian Academy of Sciences (NNSC RAS). State University is a member of the European University Association (EUA).
Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod (UNN) has been in the world's top 700 universities since 2011, according to QS World University Rankings. It is ranked 72nd in top 200 universities in 2014 QS World University Rankings: BRICS.
More than 1,000 UNN students and staff were trained in the best European universities during the implementation of 21 Tempus projects.
The State University of Nizhni Novgorod is carrying out 7 innovative scientific projects supported by the Government of the Russian Federation to establish world-class research laboratories, develop promising scientific fields, involve students in scientific research and encourage them to develop projects from an idea to a business.
In 2014 UNN installed a powerful supercomputer named Lobachevsky at the Research Institute for Applied Mathematics and Cybernetics. The peak performance of Lobachevsky is 570 Tflops: this makes it the third most powerful supercomputer in Russia and one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world.
Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod includes Fundamental Library (its collections number 2,200,000 volumes), Innovation Technology Center, University Press and printing house and 5 museums: Zoological Museum (included in the top 5 university zoological museums in Russia), Archaeological Museum, Ethnographic Museum, UNN History Museum with an Art Gallery, and Nizhni Novgorod Radio Laboratory Museum.
UNN created a network of universities to develop cooperation between the European Union and the Volga Federal District of Russia in a wide range of fields. 100 universities of the Volga Federal District of Russia engage in collaboration in the field of Information and Communication Technologies. 11 universities have joined the development of common educational environment. 10 universities are involved in cooperation with the EU to provide infrastructural support for innovation.
Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod has forged successful partnerships with 95 universities and educational centers worldwide since 1991 when the closed city was opened up. International cooperation has resulted in unique programs – Russian-French University and Russian-Italian University. The latter program was twice included in Russia-Italy Joint Action Plan. Students graduate with diplomas from two educational institutions in two countries.
Prof. Roman G. Strongin is the President of UNN and Head of Software Department. Doctor of Sciences in Physics & Mathematics, Roman G. Strongin is an Honored Scientist of the Russian Federation and holder of awards from the President of the Russian Federation and government of Nizhny Novgorod.
Prof. Roman G. Strongin is the head of the Rector Council of Higher Education Institutions of the Volga Federal District and that of Nizhny Novgorod region. He is Doctor of Sciences Honoris Causa at London Metropolitan University.
Prof. Evgeny V. Chuprunov, Doctor of Sciences in Physics & Mathematics, is the current Rector of the Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod.
Mission Statement Of The N.I. Lobachevsky State University Of Nizhny Novgorod
N.I. Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod (UNN) was established in 1916 as a People's University. The University has provided the basis for the development of higher education and a fundamental research system in the Nizhni Novgorod region. It is one of the best classical universities in Russia.
The University is renowned for innovation in the fields of research and higher education. As a result, UNN's scientific and pedagogical schools have won international recognition for their excellence. The continual development of these schools ensures the high standard of UNN's educational activity as a research university. The University aims to respond in an effective manner to new and evolving scientific and educational challenges.
The University has concentrated its research efforts through the creation of large research institutes that focus on work in cutting-edge fields. Additionally, UNN's scientific and educational cooperation with the Russian Academy of Sciences has been formalized. The University also continuously engages in multifaceted interaction with various branches of the economy.
The University endeavors to generate additional funding to support its educational and research activities.
UNN is the center of integration for the educational, scientific and cultural life of the region.
UNN intra-university life is distinguished by a high degree of democracy.
The University of Nizhni Novgorod sees its mission as maintaining and strengthening the role of UNN as one of the leading institutes of Russian higher education which is engaged in:
- research-based training of highly skilled graduates capable of making an effective contribution to Russia's development;
- the development of fundamental and applied research as essentials for the provision of high-quality education and as sources of new knowledge and technologies that provide solutions to pressing social and economic problems ;
- the development of a knowledge and technology transfer culture common to all universities;
- making a significant contribution to the development of Russian education and participation in the efforts of Russia's universities to form an integrated system of higher education in Europe;
- active influence on socio-economic, cultural and ethnic development of the Nizhni Novgorod region and the Volga Federal District.
To achieve the stated goals, Nizhni Novgorod University
- in the field of education:
- provides education on the basis of scientific research with the use of modern management and control systems which ensure the provision of high-quality education;
- introduces new areas of training that meet the needs of a knowledge-based society through the education of qualified personnel, and develops programs of elite and mass education;
- acts as a center for the development and dissemination of new educational standards, programs, and teaching methods;
- meets the requirements of individuals, the society and the State in a wide spectrum of basic and additional educational programs that are delivered in formats appropriate to different kinds of students, and creates the conditions for life-long learning;
- encourages students to continuously update their knowledge, promotes their leadership qualities and aids students' development as highly cultured, socially active and well-rounded people.
- in the field of research:
- carries out wide-ranging and interdisciplinary basic and applied research that builds up the University's overall potential and constitutes the basis for a high-quality education;
- creates the conditions for expanding and strengthening the scientific and pedagogical schools at UNN and for attracting talented young people, on a large scale, to research and education;
- provides training for highly qualified scientific staff through Masters and Doctoral programs;
- conducts an evaluation and analytical activities in science and education;
- strengthens cooperation with research institutes at the Russian Academy of Sciences and industry research institutes; creates and develops research and education centers;
- expands the infrastructure for innovation ensuring effective transfer of research-intensive technologies and the development of competitive products;
- in the field of regional development:
- promotes the social, economic, institutional and cultural development of the country, the Federal District and the Nizhni Novgorod region;
- cooperates with federal and regional government agencies;
- promotes the formation of high-tech sectors in the economy in the Federal District and in the Nizhni Novgorod region through a more dynamic transfer of research-intensive technologies and better integration with world high-tech industries in a manner that promotes external investment in the region;
- promotes social stability and an environment of mutual understanding and tolerance, and supports ethical and cultural diversity in the multinational and multi-faith Volga Federal District and in the Nizhni Novgorod region;
- in the field of international relations:
- participates in the formation of the integrated European Higher Education Area and preserves the traditions of Eurasian cooperation;
- takes an active part in the formation of regional and international university networks;
- develops international cooperation in the field of science and high technologies and promotes new forms of interaction in high priority areas;
- establishes and nurtures a system of training for overseas undergraduate and post-graduate students within the framework of the Russian education system;
- takes an active part in the international cooperation programs of the Volga Federal District and the Nizhni Novgorod region.
To meet the above objectives, UNN:
- develops its own structure and improves the management system, relying on the dynamic organization of its principal activities through a project-oriented approach and through integration with other educational and scientific establishments;
- expands its network of additional funding sources;
- develops the material and technical basis for educational and research work as well as the material infrastructure for supporting the social life of its employees and students;
- creates an information environment ensuring the formation of a highly developed information culture in the university community and outside it, and providing the basis for IT support of educational, research, administrative and managerial activities.