Veterinary higher education in Iasi dates back to about one century.
"At the beginning of the 20th century, within the Faculty of Sciences of Iasi, there functioned a Department of Agriculture similar to the Department of Agricultural Chemistry set up at the Faculty of Sciences from Bucharest. In 1910, the subjects taught in this department were the following: Nutrition of plants and agricultural animals, Wine processing and Dairy. On the 7th of June 1911, a group of teachers, among whom Haralamb Vasiliu - the chair of the Department of Agricultural Chemistry, P. Bujor, A. Popovici, and I. Simionescu, proposed the founding of a Section of Agricultural Sciences within the Faculty of Sciences.
The courses were distributed along two years and in three groups. From the 17th of May 1913 onwards, the section of Agricultural Sciences had its own functioning regulations, but at about the same time, they were on the verge of losing academic staff for animal husbandry, rural economy as well as veterinary medicine. The positions had been cut "because of exceptional and unfavourable circumstances in which the country was found." (The State Archives of Bucharest, Fond. Min. Instr. Dos. 2681/1913, f.189)
Although these documents prove that there have been veterinary practices within the university from the very beginning of the 20th century, it took almost six decades for this desideratum to come true.
Set up in 1961, the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine was equipped with highly modern technology where outstanding personalities of Romanian veterinary higher education pursued their activity.
Up until 1974 the faculty functioned as an individual unit within the Agronomic Institute of Iasi, with a 5-year curriculum where the disciplines were structured in 4 Departments.
In 1974, the unit merged with the Faculty of Animal Husbandry. From here on, the Veterinary Medicine section continued to develop within the Faculty of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine.
In 1986, following re-organization, the faculty is re-founded within the Faculty of Agriculture under the name of Department of Veterinary Medicine.
Starting with 1990, the Faculty gains its own name and status as Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, organized on the principles of modern veterinary education, within the University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine.
This school offers programs in: