Established on September 16, 1991, Macao Polytechnic Institute (MPI) is a public institution of higher education with an emphasis on applied knowledge and skills. MPI’s motto is “knowledge, expertise and global vision”, and the Institute strives to achieve international standards in teaching and learning, building an e-campus, ensuring administrative compliance with the law and sound research management. Small in size and compact in structure, MPI adopts the strategy of “dual emphasis on teaching and research”, with a commitment to remain “rooted in Macao and backed up by the motherland while facing the world and striving for excellence”. The present members of the Board of Management are Professor Lei Heong Iok, President, Professor Im Sio Kei, Vice President, and Dr Chan Wai Cheong, Secretary-General. Currently, there is approximately 250 academic staff (70% of which possess a doctoral degree) and 55 professional trainers, together serving a population of approximately 3,000 fulltime students on degree programmes and 10,000 students on non-degree training courses.
In MPI there are six Schools, namely, Languages and Translation, Business, Public Administration, Physical Education and Sports, Arts and Health Sciences, providing a broad range of bachelor degree programmes in areas such as Translation and Interpretation (Chinese-English / Chinese-Portuguese), International Chinese Language Education, Portuguese Language, E-commerce, Marketing, Accounting, Public Relations, Management, Gaming and Recreation Management, Public Administration, Social Work, Computing, Sino-Lusophone Trade Relations, Physical Education, Visual Arts, Music, Design, Nursing, Biomedical Technologies (Medical Laboratory and Pharmacy Technologies) and Science in Speech-Language Therapy.
In recent years, in response to the SAR Government’s higher education policy of promoting academic accreditation, we have been committed to seeking accreditation to improve management and teaching quality. In February 2014, UK Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) announced on its website that MPI has received a Judgement of “confidence”, the highest rating given by the QAA. This is the first internationally recognised institutional review ever undertaken by a higher education institution in Macao. QAA has commended MPI’s academic standards, quality of learning opportunities, information about learning opportunities, and enhancement of learning quality, thus demonstrating that MPI meets international standards.
With this important process, MPI will continue to strive for excellence in accordance with its philosophy of high quality, student-centred education. Rooted in Macao while serving the society, MPI endeavours to grow into a continuously improving higher education institution of excellence in terms of management, teaching and research within a vibrant academic culture, with the aim of dedicating itself to the social, economic and cultural development of Macao.
The Macao Polytechnic Institute vision is to excel as an institution of higher learning distinguished by its open and transparent management, multidisciplinary approach to studies and high standard of scholarship in both teaching and applied research. It will build on its distinctive position as a quality institution with a strong commitment to serving the local community as well as wider areas of China. MPI aspires to join the league of leading tertiary institutions in the Asia-Pacific Region.
- Developing academic programmes which are relevant to Macao (local) and regional needs in a changing environment;
- Enhancing students’ development through enriched campus life and innovative learning programmes;
- Equipping students with proficient language and communication skills in Chinese, English and Portuguese (for some groups of students);
- Promoting effective teaching and learning both in and outside the classroom;
- Contributing to the Macao Government’s human resource policy of up-graduating its human capacity as well as its goal of building a prosperous society;
- Establishing a first-class institution of higher learning through continuous capacity building and strategic partnership with renowned universities around the world;
- Creating an open and harmonious environment for the free expression of academic views and functioning as a platform for first-class research and academic exchanges, especially projects of direct relevance to Macao;
- Encouraging students to work towards self-improvement, maturity and a willingness to serve; and
- Providing professional training tailored to the specific needs of the local community and thereby contributing to its sustainable development.
This school offers programs in: