The Government of the Republic of Lithuania in 1935. founded the first higher educational school - twin Pedagogical Institute in Klaipeda, the main task was to prepare teachers in the reformed primary school and develop the pedagogical sciences in Lithuania. In 1939. March, Germany had invaded the land of Klaipėda, Pedagogical Institute was evacuated to Panevezys, and the autumn - when Lithuania regained Vilnius, the capital was moved to and named Vilnius Pedagogical Institute.
In 1990. on 11 March. After Lithuania regained independence, the Institute began teaching and administrative restructuring.
In 1992. 20 May. The Supreme Council of the Republic of Lithuania granted the status of the Institute of the University, the University adopted the statute, and since then he called the Vilnius Pedagogical University.
Lithuanian University of Education study in 11 000 are students. University academic staff consists of 552 employees, of which 84 professors (doctors and habilitated doctors), 216 - associate professors (doctors), 151 - lecturers, 101 assistants.
The University has nine faculties and two institutes:
- Department of Physics and Technology
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Faculty of History
- Lithuanian Studies Faculty
- Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Philology
- Department of Sport and Health
- Institute for Social Communication
- Professional development institute