Spanish and Linguistics BA Honours
University of Westminster
London, United Kingdom
3 - 4 years
Full time, Part time
GBP 15,400 / per year **
Request info *
Earliest start date
* we urge applicants to apply as soon possible and recommend applicants to apply at least three months before the course starts
** international | UK: £9,250
Our Spanish and Linguistics BA trains you to be a competent linguist ready to enter graduate employment.
Our degree offers the exciting combination of the study of the Spanish language and culture alongside the wider study of the forms, structures and varieties of language itself.
You'll develop a high level of competence in oral and written communication in Spanish, proficiency in language transfer skills, and a thorough knowledge of Spanish culture. Upon graduation, you'll be able to thrive linguistically in diverse cultural situations.
You'll study an integrated curriculum with a focus on applied language skills and cultural studies, supported by a rigorous development of your foreign language skills in all areas. We teach in an integrated interdisciplinary way, exploring the connections between language and culture and the broader historical and cross-cultural contexts in which they are produced.
We place particular emphasis on employability and the contemporary cultural context and offer high-quality teaching in all language skills.
The linguistics component of your combined degree will develop your understanding and knowledge of language to an advanced and sophisticated level while fostering and enhancing your skills in using English.
Between Years 2 and 3, you'll have the opportunity to spend a full academic year abroad at one of our partner institutions or undertake an approved form of employment in a country where Spanish is the official language. You may work as a paid language assistant in a foreign school or undertake a work (or volunteering) placement, both of which give you a valuable opportunity to boost your employability while improving your language competence.
Our Spanish courses are only available to the beginner or intermediate entrants. Please note that we may need to test you to determine your entry point.
Top reasons to study with us
- Enhance your language skills abroad – You'll have the option to spend a full academic year abroad in your third year or shorter periods ranging from a few days to a full semester.
- Mix language with culture – Develop your Spanish language skills alongside your cultural knowledge of the Spanish-speaking world with our integrated curriculum.
- Expert teaching – You'll study with world experts in creoles, pidgins and sociolinguistics.
- Be supported – You'll receive individually focused academic support through our tutorial modules.
Why study this course?
Study linguistics at the heart of a polyglot city
Our Regent Campus is based around one of London’s most vibrant streets and puts you in the heart of multicultural London.
Language in practice
You'll have access to our Languages Plus programme, which puts you in touch with native speakers through the Language Exchange, gives you one-to-one grammar help at the Language Clinics, and allows you to gain valuable work experience in a language-related field.
Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL) partner
We're committed to supporting the development of our linguists, and we work closely with the CIOL.
The University of Westminster is a Higher Education Language partner of the Chartered Institute of Linguists.
The University’s Careers and Employability Service has built up a network of over 3,000 employers around the world, helping all our students explore and connect with exciting opportunities and careers and supporting you to achieve your full potential.
- Boost your employability
Spanish was the second most desired language by employers in 2019, according to a report by CBI/Pearson.
Source: CBI/Pearson Education and Skills Survey report 2019.
- Futureproof your career
The British Council named Spanish the most important language for the future in 2017.
Source: British Council.
- International experience
Gain work experience while developing your language skills by taking part in a semester or an academic year working or volunteering in a Spanish-speaking country. Previous destinations have included Madrid, Barcelona, Grenada, Cuba, Mexico, Argentina.
You have the opportunity to spend an optional year abroad working or volunteering in a Spanish-speaking country.
You can also choose to undertake a supported work placement module in your final year.
This course will prepare you for roles in a range of fields, including:
- Civil Service
- Digital copywriting
- International client liaison
- Speech therapy
- Teaching and education
- Translation and interpreting
Graduates from this course have found employment at organisations including:
- Christ Church CE Primary School
- Mace Ltd
The following subjects are indicative of what you will study in this course.
Subjects of study include:
- The Spanish World and the Word
- Introduction to the Study of Language and Culture
- Exploring Language
- Intercultural Communication: An Introduction
- Objects and Meaning: World Cultures in London Galleries and Museums
- World Varieties of English
Credit Level 4
Subjects of study include:
- Expressions of Spanish Culture
- Language, Structure and Meaning
- Culture(s) and Conflict(s): Representations of War, Conflict and Revolution across World Cultures
- Language, Power and Institutions: Decoding Dominant Narratives
- Multilingual e-Collaboration: Transposing Current Affairs
- Language and Literary Style
- Child Language Acquisition
- Transnational Issues and Local Cultures on Film
Credit Level 5
Between Years 2 and 3, you'll have the option to spend a full academic year abroad at a partner institution and/or an approved form of employment in a country where Spanish is the official language.
Subjects of study include:
- Themes in Spanish Studies
- Dissertation/Professional Project
- Narrating the Other: Politics and Literature
- People and Things on the Move: Identity, Place and Memory in and across Diasporic Spaces
- Gender Matters
- Developing Career Competencies for Linguists
- Language Contact and Change
- Language and Power
- Language Form
- Studies in Literary Language
Credit Level 6
Many of our courses offer international study and work experiences, and the University provides other global opportunities that all students can apply for - so whatever you're studying, you'll have the chance to go abroad.
Opportunities could include:
- Taking part in a semester or year-long exchanges at institutions around the world
- Attending an international summer school or field trip
- Developing your CV through volunteering or work placements abroad
International experience broadens horizons, boosts self-confidence, and improves global understanding, alongside being fantastic for your career.
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
The University is dedicated to supporting ambitious and outstanding students and we offer a variety of scholarships to eligible undergraduate students, which cover all or part of your tuition fees.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.