BA (Hons) in Architecture University of Winchester
*Subject to Validation
Please note, this course is not currently accepting applications for September 2023 entry.
- The place to build a sustainable future
- A scholarship of up to £3,000 is available for students who meet the criteria
At Winchester, we believe architectural practices should respond to the social and environmental concerns of today. We will develop your skills in drawing, modelling, new technologies, design processes and project management to help you navigate the world of architecture. Explore the fundamental design principles, analysing how places can affect our mood and the relationship between humans and buildings – how we interact with them, use them, and feel about them. Project-based work will be in our state-of-the-art studio, focusing on the humanities, technical skills, digital resources, and creative design. At each turn, we will urge you to ask important questions about your design. How can we use design to respond to the needs of society? What materials are the friendliest to our planet without compromising safety and longevity? Lecturers, including leading industry professionals, will work with you to cement your architectural concepts and make them a reality.
Outside of the University, the city of Winchester itself is regularly voted as one of the best places to live in the UK and is laced with heritage, nature, and tradition. From Georgian and Victorian properties to the majestic Winchester Cathedral, you will be surrounded by sources of inspiration. By interlocking the traditions of the past with the demands of the future, Architecture at Winchester will have you become a leader in the field.
Year 1 (Level 4)
- Design Project 1 30
- History and Theory of Architecture 30
- Design Project 2 30
- The role of Architecture in Sustainability and Social Justice 30
Year 2 (Level 5)
- Conservation and Heritage (Design project) 30
- Professional Skills 30
- Space, place and the green city 30
- Design, buildings, and the green city (Design project) 30
Year 3 (Level 6)
- Design and planning for sustainable living (Major Design project) 60
- Integrative project 60
As a graduate of this course, you will be equipped with an understanding of how design, spaces, and buildings can contribute positively to the shaping of society. At all stages, you will be taught by professionals with industry experience and you will be supported to identify the career path that is appropriate to you.
Graduates may go on to become; architectural designers; interior designers; industrial designers; production designers; project managers; urban planners; building surveyors; graphic designers or set designers
The University of Winchester ranks in the top 10 in the UK for graduates in employment and further study according to the Graduate Outcomes Survey 2021, HESA.
Pre-approved for a Master's
If you study for a Bachelor's Honours Degree with us, you will be pre-approved to start a Master's degree at Winchester. To be eligible, you will need to apply by the end of March in the final year of your degree and meet the entry requirements of your chosen Master's degree.
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
- Students achieving 128 UCAS tariff points from 3 A-levels or equivalent qualifications (e.g. DDM in BTEC) receive £2000 in their first year of study and £1000 in their second year of study.
- Students achieving 120 UCAS tariff points from 3 A-levels or equivalent qualifications (e.g. Merit in a T Level) receive £1000 in their first year of study and £1000 in their second year of study.