Bachelor of Science in Geoscience
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, USA
Earliest start date
The Department of Geology and Geophysics offers Bachelors of Science (B.S.) degree programs that are designed for students who wish to pursue professional careers in the Earth sciences or in other areas of science, engineering, teaching, public service or business. In addition to providing a broad, rigorous education in the Earth sciences, the curriculum also includes comprehensive preparation in all the physical sciences, so graduates from the program will be competitive when applying for admission to graduate schools and/or quality jobs in the professional arena.
There are numerous research opportunities within the department and internship opportunities with off-campus organizations available for undergraduate students. A highly regarded "Petroleum Industry Career Path" (PICP) curriculum is offered by our internationally known faculty for students interested in a career in the oil and gas industry.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.0
- A GPA of 2.25 in departmental required and elective courses.
- Grades of Credit or those of less than C- are not accepted in departmental or required courses.
Complete all of the following
- GEO1100 - Evolving Earth (3)
- GEO2100 - Reactive Earth (3)
- GEO2500 - Wasatch in the Field (3)
- GEO3100 - Dynamic Earth (3)
- GEO4500 - Field Methods (3)
- Complete the following:
- GEO4510 - Field Geology (2)
- GEO4520 - Field Geology - Part 2 (2)
Geophysics Emphasis Only:
Earned at least 3 credits from the following:
- GEO3900 - Undergraduate Research (1 - 3)
- Earned at least 12 credits from GEO, MET E, ATMOS, MG EN, BIOL, MATH, CHEM, PHYS, BIOEN, CH EN, CS, CVEEN, ECE, ME EN, or MSE 3000 - 5999
Grand Total Credits: 30 - 31
- Environmental Geoscience
- Geological Engineering
- K-12 Earth Science Teaching
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.