BA (Hons) Politics
University of Portsmouth
Southsea, United Kingdom
3 - 4 years
GBP 9,250 / per year *
Earliest start date
* for UK/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students/EU residents | £16,200/year: international students
Understand the political issues shaping – and dividing – societies worldwide, and discover the integral role politics plays in every aspect of people’s lives globally.
In this BA (Hons) Politics degree, you’ll tackle the major issues facing people and politicians today, including Brexit, the NHS, and life in a ‘post-truth’ world.
You’ll learn how the political world works and look at how our Parliament functions and how the law and our institutions interact. You’ll study the historical moments that have shaped our democracy – and learn the skills required to play your part in changing minds, shaping policy and fighting inequality.
- Learn from the staff at our Centre for European and International Studies Research (CEISR), whose research directly impacts government policy.
- Tailor your degree by choosing optional modules that match your interests and career ambitions, from gender in politics to radicalisation and the rise of the far-right.
- Attend events and talks led by people working in local, national and international government (including current MPs and staff from the US Department of Defence) and political journalism.
- Go on field trips to locations such as the Houses of Parliament.
- Take part in a simulated ‘academic conference’, where you’ll present a paper that will be discussed with your peers.
- Have the opportunity to organise your political campaign in your 2nd year on a political issue you care about.
- Have the chance to study abroad at one of our partner institutions – including Science Po Strasbourg (France), Maastricht University (Netherlands), Université libre de Bruxelles (Belgium) and Carleton University (Canada).
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.