BA (Hons) Film Production
University of Portsmouth
Southsea, United Kingdom
3 - 4 years
GBP 9,250 / per year *
Earliest start date
* for UK/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students/EU residents | £16,200/year: international students
Our ScreenSkills Select-accredited BA (Hons) Film Production degree will mould you into the expert filmmaker, cinematographer, editor, and special effects producer the booming film industry craves.
Master the practical and business elements of film creation and exhibit your films at national screening events, which will turn employers’ heads your way.
Graduates have created indie films, joined Marvel, Maverick and Pinewood Studios, and worked on critically acclaimed titles Black Mirror, Wonder Woman 1984, and No Time to Die. Here’s your chance to follow in their footsteps.
- Familiarise yourself with advanced professional equipment used in the industries – including Arri Alexa cinema camera systems, a Pro Tools-equipped Foley and ADR sound studio, and a Baselight colour grading system
- Attract potential employers by showcasing your films at our annual screening event at London’s British Film Institute (BFI)
- Boost your professional experience by taking an optional one-year placement – either with a company or by setting up your own
- Bolster your practice and knowledge by attending specialist masterclasses and workshops on all areas of film production
- Show your editing expertise to industry peers by gaining an Avid Media Composer certification.
- Enhance your employability by accessing training events, bursaries and scholarships – one of many advantages of a ScreenSkills Select accreditation
This course is accredited by ScreenSkills Select, a professional body for the screen industry.
All ScreenSkills Select-accredited courses must show the highest quality and relevance to the industry. This ensures you'll learn the knowledge and skills relevant to your future career and assures potential employers that your degree is relevant to the screen industry. This accreditation also gives you access to exclusive benefits such as employability training events, scholarships and bursaries.
Avid Media Composer
Avid Media Composer is the film and television industry's leading editing software application. The University of Portsmouth is an Avid Learning Partner, which gives you access to the official Avid Media Composer curriculum and Certification exams. Our industry-recognised accreditations are a key factor in helping our graduates into relevant employment.
You’ll be supported by academic and technical staff who are accredited Avid Professional Instructors. Our first-year editing module embeds the Avid Media Composer 101 and 110 Curriculum, allowing our students to complete the official accreditation from their second year.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.