BA in English Literature University of Manchester
Explore traditional English Literature alongside post-colonial literature, cultural theory, creative writing and film.
- Explore the rich literary history and current creative scene of Manchester - a recently designated UNESCO City of Literature.
- Study more than 1,000 years of writing in English, engaging with literary and cultural theory, studying texts in their historical contexts and reflecting on different cultures and traditions.
- Gain insight into a breadth of written forms - from illuminated manuscripts to graphic novels, from poetry to postmodern fiction.
We are carefully reviewing all our recruitment events in light of the developing coronavirus outbreak.
As we're unable to host on-campus visits, or attend events like UCAS and overseas recruitment fairs at the moment, look at our virtual open day content to help you learn more about the University.
You will be able to watch videos about the university, including accommodation, student finance and course-specific sessions.
BA English Literature will enable you to explore a wide range of texts dating from a variety of periods.
From the Anglo-Saxon period to the present day, you'll explore a wide range of texts and genres ranging from illuminated manuscripts to graphic novels, from poetry to postmodern fiction, from across the Anglophone world and beyond.
Your first year of study will see you sample a wide variety of literature while giving you the necessary knowledge and skills to equip you for Years 2 and 3 when you will have the opportunity to choose the units that most interest you.
You will become part of a thriving community of students, lecturers and writers at The University of Manchester, based in the heart of a UNESCO City of Literature that has produced some of the world's greatest writers and has a thriving literature and arts scene, including major events like Manchester Literature Festival.
Placement year option
Apply your subject-specific knowledge in a real-world context through a placement year in your third year of study, enabling you to enhance your employment prospects, clarify your career goals and build your external networks.
You can apply to spend one semester studying abroad during the second year of your degree.
Exchange partners are offered in Europe through the Erasmus Exchange scheme, as well as the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore via the Worldwide Exchange scheme.
Manchester Literature Festival holds literary events across Manchester throughout the year, many in partnership with the University.
The Centre for New Writing also hosts a regular public event series, Literature Live, which brings contemporary novelists and poets to The University to read and engage in conversation.
Free choice units will allow you to explore subjects beyond your course.
In addition, Flexible Honours may allow you to study additional art, languages or cultures subject.
Meet like-minded students
You can get to know your fellow students outside of your course by joining the English Society.
Teaching and learning
In Years 1 and 2, you will be taught mainly through lectures and seminars. Lectures provide essential knowledge and identify key questions which are then discussed further in seminars. Seminar groups usually meet once a week and numbers are kept as low as possible so that you can get to know one another and have a chance to develop and share your ideas.
In Year 3, you choose from a wide range of specialist units. You will be taught by a leading expert in the field.
A compulsory long essay in Year 3 will give you the experience of independent research and allow you to develop a personal project.
For some course units, you will join in group work and other forms of collaborative learning. You'll also have access to our virtual learning environment, Blackboard and other digital resources to support your learning.
Coursework and assessment
You will be assessed using a variety of formats, including:
- written examinations;
- coursework essays;
- research reports;
- practical tests;
- learning logs;
- web contributions;
- oral presentations;
- final-year thesis.
Your second-year work counts toward 33% of your final degree result. Your third-year work accounts for the remaining 67%.