Bachelor in English, European Languages and Business Studies
University of Latvia
3 - 4 years
Full time, Part time
EUR 2,880 / per year *
Earliest start date
* EUR 2,200 per year for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens, permanent residence permit holders and their family members.
- Faculty of Humanities.
- Sub-programmes: English Language; English- Scandinavian Languages; European Languages and Business studies.
- Awards: Bachelor of Humanities.
- Accreditation: the study program is licensed, will be accredited within two years (according to national legislation).
- Duration of studies: 3 years (full-time), 4 years (part-time*).
*Part-time studies available only for EU/EEA citizens.
The programme curriculum is aimed at the students interested in advanced English studies, anglophone or Scandinavian culture and general business. The obtained academic and professional competence in translation, editing, teaching, research, intercultural and business communication is applicable in a wide range of contexts in the local and international markets.
The programme consists of three sub-programmes which students choose before starting their studies.
It is a classical study programme in English studies which provides knowledge in general and applied linguistics, literary and cultural studies, studies of the main anglophone regions- the United Kingdom, the United States of America and Canada as well as develops high-level communicative competence in English and other European languages (French, Spanish, German, Swedish or Norwegian). It is offered as a full-time and part-time study mode.
English- Scandinavian Languages
In addition to English studies, students acquire knowledge about Swedish and Norwegian cultural heritage as well as develop high-level communicative competence in English and Swedish or Norwegian. In the academic year 2021/2022 students will acquire Norwegian as a second language. It is offered only as a full-time mode.
European Languages and Business studies
The sub-programme provides knowledge about the English Language, the UK, USA and Canadian culture, business and economics basic principles, develops intercultural communication skills, entrepreneurship skills, teamwork and other transversal skills as well as high-level communicative competence in English and other European languages (French, Spanish, German, Swedish or Norwegian). The programme is implemented in cooperation with the Faculty of Business, Management and Economics of UL in a full-time and part-time study mode.
Living in Latvia
Latvia is a member state of the European Union and Schengen area. Its capital, Riga is the metropolis of the Baltic region. Riga is listed among the world’s best student cities. It is a safe city. Life in Latvia is not expensive compared with Western European countries. Latvia offers affordable education. You can find more information in the practical handbook for international students.
More information and study plan HERE.
Scholarships and Funding
- EU/EEA/Swiss citizens and EU permanent resident status holders can compete for a state-financed study place (a certificate of Latvian language proficiency is needed).
- EUR 500 per month - citizens from these countries are eligible to apply for a Latvian state scholarship.
- Temporary students’ residence permit holders can work 20 hours per week.
The programme prepares the graduates for different careers in the public and private sector in the local and international labour market, which require the application of profound knowledge of foreign languages, literature and culture in applied social contexts such as education, business, law, the arts, politics and the media employed as translators, content managers, editors, assistants to department and project managers, teachers in language centres and universities.