Bachelor of Science in Marine Fisheries and Animal Science
United Arab Emirates University - Undergraduate Programs
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
AED 2,500 / per credit **
Request info *
Earliest start date
* application period for fall semester: May, June, July
** per credit hour
The consumption of animal products is strongly increasing worldwide. Young, creative experts in animal production sciences are in great demand to support the intensification of animal production while maintaining high product quality, public health, and environmental sustainability. The Bachelor program in Marine Fisheries and Animal Science encourages students to excel in a wide range of animal science specializations that are highly relevant to food security in arid lands. Students are provided with up-to-date theoretical information and receive intensive practical training in well-equipped laboratories, on our experimental stations, and through internship opportunities. Graduates of this program are ready to build their careers in, e.g. aquaculture, fisheries management, poultry, and domestic livestock production, or in the sports animal business.
- Provide students with fundamental scientific knowledge on the production and protection of domestic animals and fish in the arid environment.
- Develop student’s skills to produce a wide range of animal products in a resource-efficient manner in arid environments.
- Enhance student’s ability to sustain the natural resources of the country and the region, and improve the quality of the environment.
- Provide students with important and new agricultural knowledge related to the UAE and the Arab world.
- Develop student’s awareness of using modern scientific methods and technology transfer.
- Develop student’s professional skills and ethics, and foster positive attitudes.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Discuss the basic concepts of animal production and marine fisheries.
- Explain the basic characteristics of domestic animals and their husbandry in arid environments.
- Explain populations of marine animals, and develop concepts for their sustainable use for food production.
- Employ technical skills for sustainably managing natural resources in fisheries and agricultural projects.
- Utilize and improve animal breeds with particular tolerance to stresses prevailing in arid environments.
- Manage livestock in intensive and extensive production systems.
- Improve and conserve germplasm through modern breeding technologies.
- Apply sustainable agricultural principles and safe environmental practices.
- Minimize the negative impact of fisheries and animal production on the environment.
- Maintain and protect native farm animal genotypes along with knowledge on traditional production systems, as cultural heritage and valuable source of information and genetic diversity.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the animal production and fisheries sector in the UAE and the Arab world.
- Discuss the similarity and integration of the Arab World in terms of the environment and natural resources.
- Conduct research using appropriate statistical methods for data analysis.
- Utilize library and research skills for organizing and applying the information for decision making.
- Demonstrate knowledge about design, execute, and evaluate technology transfer programs.
- Demonstrate communication skills necessary for leadership roles, teamwork, and scientific rational discussion.
- Respect and value the living resources that serve our food production, and employ appropriate ethical standards to animal production systems and research approaches.
- Think critically, creatively and employ appropriate ethical standards to animal production systems and research approaches
- Engage in life-long learning.