BSc (Hons) Business Management with Placement Year
The University of Law Business School Undergraduate
London, United Kingdom
GBP 9,250 *
Earliest start date
* 2023/2024: UK - £9,250 per annum; International - £16,700 per annum London, £15,900 non-London
The BSc (Hons) Business Management with Placement Year is aimed at students who have an interest in developing knowledge and understanding of the key aspects of business and management, and in particular, who are looking to pursue a career in business management. It seeks to give students a learning experience that allows them to develop proficiencies that create effective managerial behaviour in different organisations in today’s changing business environment.
The curriculum and learning and teaching strategy are complemented by guest lectures and ‘live’ workshops to promote independent learning and increase their employability skills for the future. Year 1 covers the foundation elements of business management. Years 2 and 3 cover the area in more depth and in particular, develop your employability skills.
The programme provides the intellectual underpinnings required for a career in a rapidly changing work environment, a rigorous approach to self-awareness and personal development and significant exposure to the world of work and its current demands through work experience opportunities.
BSc Business Management with Placement Year
Do you aspire to succeed in business?
This comprehensive undergraduate degree delivers a full range of business knowledge and skills, taught by professionals with real-world experience and expertise. Including marketing, human resources, accounting, leadership and management with the option to specialise as you study, this flexible degree is designed with a focus on what is most important - your employability.
Students will also have an opportunity to qualify for the CMI Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership (5D1V2) or the Level 5 Certificate in Leadership and Management (5C1V2) dependent on the successful completion of relevant modules.
Optional Placement Year
New from September 2021 – our Placement Year provides the opportunity to spend an academic year working for an employer to gain vital experience to boost your employability. With the supervision and support of our academics, a Placement Year gives you the chance to gain real-world experience, develop leadership skills, and take a significant first step into the highly competitive business world.
On successful completion of an undergraduate degree, our Business School students can progress onto a business Master's with us for free. T&Cs apply.
Leadership Summer School
Students can choose to attend our International Leadership Summer School in Berlin at the end of the second year to boost their leadership skills and sample Berlin.
1st for Overall Student Satisfaction
We have been ranked first amongst universities for overall student satisfaction in England in the 2020 National Student Survey.
BSc (Hons) Business Management
The BSc (Hons) Business Management degree is ideal for those interested in a future professional career in business and management. The course offers an excellent grounding in key aspects of business management and will equip you for a wide variety of career options including operations, HR, project management, business analytics, business consultancy as well and setting up your own venture. Throughout the course, you’ll get to develop key employability skills such as research, presentation, critical analysis, problem-solving, teamwork and entrepreneurship.
The course programme includes regular talks from guest lecturers and speakers as well as ‘live’ workshops to promote independent learning. Graduates will be equipped with the knowledge and professional skills required to add immediate value to any organisation. If you would like to further your studies after graduating, you may wish to consider studying a postgraduate course in:
- MSc Strategic Business Management
- MSc Corporate Financial Management
- MSc Project Management
Our degrees are built around preparing you for the workplace and with that in mind, we encourage students to select the option to undertake a placement year.
Taking place in the 3rd year of a 4-year degree, you’ll have the opportunity to find paid work, putting the learning of your first 2 years into practice to develop and enhance real-world skills to launch your career.
So how does it work?
Whilst you will be responsible for finding your own placement, our dedicated Business Employability Team will be on hand to support you through the process. The hours per week that you work will be determined by your placement organisation, however, expect it to be between 18 hours and 35 hours per week for a minimum of 30 weeks. If you’re not successful in securing a placement then do not worry - you’ll simply transfer to a non-placement version of your course. There is no assessment connected to the placement year, though you will be required to deliver a presentation summarising your learning and experience.
Our placement year courses are open to everyone including international students, who can contact our International Office for specific advice and guidance.
Year 1: 31 study weeks
- Essentials of Management
- Academic and Employability Skills
- Principles of Marketing
- Accounting and Finance
- Quantitative Methods for Business
- Managing and Leading People
Year 2: 30 study weeks
- Ethics and Law in the Gig Economy
- Corporate Governance and Social Responsibility
- Economics for Business
Elective modules (choose 3)*
- Strategic Brand Management and Social Media
- International Human Resources Management
- Marketing and Sales in a Digital World
- Consumer Psychology and Behaviour
- Introduction to Digital Marketing
- Principles of Entrepreneurship
- Creativity and Innovation in the Digital World
- Project Management
- Contract Law
- Company Law
- Business Law 1
- Data and Intellectual Property Protection
- Ethics and Regulations in Finance and Accounting
- Introduction to Taxation
- Management Accounting for Business
- Financial Markets and Instruments
*Subject to minimum student numbers
Placement Year Optional
- Students have the option to undertake a paid Placement Year with a business employer.
Year 4: 30 study weeks
- Global Leadership and Change Management
- International Strategic Management
- Creativity Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Elective modules (choose 2 or 3)
- Sector Specific Project or Dissertation and/or
- International Commercial Law
- Cases in International Strategy
- International Business and Global Trade
- Digital Marketing Strategies
- Market Research and Digital Marketing Analytics
- Digital Sales Management
- Regulations and Accountability of the Entrepreneur
- Forming and Financing the Enterprise
- Personal Finance
- Employment Law
- International Commercial Law
- Business Law 2
- Competition Law
- Portfolio and Risk Management
- Financial Reporting
- Advanced Taxation
- Auditing (or Audit)
- Advanced Financial Reporting
- Introduction to FinTech
- Corporate Finance
- Mergers and Acquisition
Assessments may consist of individual in-class tests, individual reports, in-class group presentations, group projects and exams.
This course has an innovatively flexible structure, with specific assessments that are conducive to effective learning.
Year 1 Entry:
BBC at A Level and Grade C/4 or above in GCSE Maths and English Language, or equivalent qualifications. Applicants who will be under the age of 18 but no younger than 17 at the commencement of the course are permitted.
Non-standard entry route B:
Please note this route is only available for applicants who do not require a Student Route Visa to study with the University:
Applicants who do not possess BBC at A Level or equivalent will instead be invited to a formal interview along with three years of appropriate work experience evidenced in a full CV along with two work references. Applicants must still display the appropriate level of competence in both English Language and Mathematics.
Year 1 Entry:
An English language level equivalent to IELTS 6.0 or above with a minimum of 5.5 in each component.
How to Apply
Applications for all our undergraduate Business courses are now open.
- UK - £9,250 per annum INT - £16,700 per annum (London), £15,900 per annum (non-London)
- Please note the fee for the Placement Year is 20% of the usual tuition fee i.e. £1,850 (Home) and £3,350 (INT - London), £3,200 (INT - non-London).
- UK - £9,250 per annum INT - £17,550 per annum (London), £16,700 per annum (non-London)
- Please note the fee for the Placement Year is 20% of the usual tuition fee i.e. £1,850 (Home) and £3,500 (INT - London), £3,350 (INT - non-London).