Bachelor of Science in Music and Worship Trevecca Nazarene University
Designed for students who are called to work as full-time or bi-vocational worship leaders, the Bachelor of Science in music and worship equips students to lead and shepherd congregations to glorify God through music and worship.
Trevecca’s Bachelor of Science in music and worship equips students with a strong foundation in worship theology, spiritual formation, servant leadership, worship methodology, music theory, and musical performance. This degree prepares the worship professional to become a skilled worship artist, worship leader, and/or worship pastor who shepherds a local church congregation to glorify God through music and worship.
- Study with world-class and highly-acclaimed professional practitioners.
- Enrich your calling with the skills and training needed to serve in the local church.
- Enjoy engaging classes and a thriving campus community.
- Take advantage of incredible internships and invaluable educational experiences in Nashville, where Music City is your classroom.
What to Expect
This degree gives students the academic and theological training needed to honor their calling while establishing an effective long-term ministry. Our innovative bachelor's in music and worship equips students with holistic training in music, theology, and leadership.
While completing their coursework, students are actively engaged in educational ministry activity, with opportunities to participate in worship bands, internships, intensive training, and practical labs. These experiences add to the professional resumé and portfolio students construct throughout the program, providing a competitive edge in a job market that encompasses the broader evangelical community.
Why Choose Trevecca?
Founded in 1901 and a leader in online education for more than two decades, Trevecca helps students discover and pursue an individual calling by providing innovative instruction; cultivating a supportive, Christ-centered community; and establishing relationships that open doors.
Recognized nationally and locally for academic quality, Trevecca has earned a reputation for providing the world with servant leaders, problem solvers, and difference makers. Trevecca’s holistic approach to education encompasses intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and spiritual growth.
As a Christian university, we offer programs that explore the ways faith intersects with your field of study. You'll earn your music and worship degree in a supportive Christian community with engaging classes and a caring faculty.
General Education — 51-54 hours
Additional Requirement for Freshmen — 3 hours
- INT 1100 Life, Calling, and Purpose 3
Major — 57 hours
Worship Foundations and Leadership - 11 hours
- WOR 1060 Biblical Foundations of Worship 3
- WOR 2020 The Role of the Worship Leader 3
- WOR 4020 Contextualization of Worship 2
- WOR 4040 Worship Leadership, Philosophy, and Administration 3
Worship Design, Practice, and Internship - 16 hours
- WOR 1070 Methods and Rehearsal Techniques for Worship I 2
- WOR 1080 Methods and Rehearsal Techniques for Worship II 2
- WOR 1200 Worship Programs and Events 0
- WOR 2040 Advanced Methods & Rehearsal Techniques for Worship 2
- WOR 3015 Principles of Worship Leading 3
- WOR 3070 Worship Technology I 2
- WOR 3080 Worship Technology II 2
- WOR 4000 Worship Internship 1-4
- WOR 1200: Students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 6 semesters
- WOR 4000: 3 hours required
Musicianship - 30 hours
Music Theory - 8 hours
- MUS 2010 Theory I 2
- MUS 2020 Theory II 2
- MUS 2060 Aural Theory I 2
- MUS 2070 Aural Theory II 2
Applied Music - 10 hours
- MCM/MUS 27-- Primary Applied, Lower Division 4
- MCM/MUS 47-- Primary Applied, Upper Division 2
- MCM/MUS 27-- Secondary Applied, Lower Division 4
MUS 1625 Class Voice I 1
MUS 1626 Class Voice II 1
MCM/MUS 27-- Secondary Applied, Lower Division 2
MUS 1670 Class Guitar I 1
MUS 1675 Class Guitar II 1
MCM/MUS 27-- Secondary Applied, Lower Division 2
- MUS 3600 Keyboard Proficiency 0
General Musicianship - 4 hours
- MUS 3100 Elementary Conducting 2
- MUS 3700 Junior Recital 0-1
- WOR 4600 Senior Worship Service and Media Presentation 1
WOR 3700: 1 hour required
Ensembles - 8 hours
- MCM/MUS/WOR 18-- Elective Ensembles 0-1
MUS 1821 Concert Choir 0-1
MUS 1825 TNU Singers 0-1
WOR 1830 Worship Choir 1
WOR 2510 Testify 1
MCM/MUS/WOR 18--: 3 hours total
MUS 1821 or MUS 1825: 2 hours required
WOR 1830 or WOR 2510: 3 hours required
Theological and Spiritual Formation Professional Minor - 15 hours
- PRA 1010 Perspectives in Christian Ministry 1
- THE 4140 Systematic Theology I 3
- THE 4270 Old Testament Theology 3
- THE 4280 New Testament Theology 3
- WOR 1010 Spiritual Formation for Worship Leaders 2
- WOR 4010 Old and New Testament Worship 3
Religion Minor — 26 hours (excluded from total credits below)
(designed for use with the Music and Worship major above for ordination purposes)
- BIB 2990 Introduction to Biblical Exegesis 3
- CED 3080 The Educational Ministry of the Church 3
- CHI 3040 History of the Ancient and Medieval Church 3
- CHI 3050 History of the Reformation and Modern Church 3 or CHI 3070 History of the Church in North America 3
- CHI 3060 History and Polity of the Church of the Nazarene 3
- PRA 3010 The Mission of the People of God 3
- PRA 3310 Pastoral Care and Counseling 2
- THE 4090 Theology of Holiness 3
- THE 4150 Systematic Theology II 3
Total Credit Hours: 126-129
- Equip students to work as professional music and worship leaders in the local church and broader evangelical community
- Provide students with “real-life” ministry opportunities in music and worship
- Prepare the students as skilled worship artists and music performers
- Develop student music and worship competencies so that they will be accepted into a graduate worship studies degree program
With a bachelor's in music and worship, students are equipped to serve in ministerial, directing, or teaching roles like these:
- Worship pastor
- Worship associate
- Administrative pastor
- Minister of music
- Children’s worship pastor
- Student worship pastor
- Church media director
- Orchestra director
- Worship band leader
Many students complete this degree as a bridge to the Doctor of Education in leadership (Ed.D.) program.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.