Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
USD 33,620 / per year *
Earliest start date
* full-time tuition 2022-2023
Biochemistry is an interdisciplinary science that studies the structure, composition, and chemical reactions of substances in living systems. Students earning a degree in biochemistry from Thiel College will have a unique, multidisciplinary foundation in chemistry, biology, and physics. This well-rounded approach, along with Thiel's liberal arts curriculum, prepares our students for work in a variety of fields upon graduation!
- You will know how to conduct an internal or external research project.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the structures and functions of biological molecules and explain molecular pathways associated with cellular metabolism of the major classes of biochemical compounds.
- Possess scientific literacy and problem-solving skills associated with the main branches of chemistry: analytical, biochemistry, inorganic, organic, and physical.
- Be prepared for chemistry-related employment in the medical, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or related fields or biochemistry-related graduate or professional programs including medical, dental, or veterinary schools.
The B.S. degree in biochemistry requires all of the courses in Section A and D, one course in Section B, one in Section C, and two courses in Section E. It is expected that the course from Section B will have a biochemistry focus.
- CHEM 140 General Chemistry I
- CHEM 160 General Chemistry II
- CHEM 200 Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 210 Organic Chemistry II
- CHEM 240 Quantitative Analysis
- CHEM 315 Physical Chemistry - Fundamentals
- CHEM 345 Biochemistry I
- CHEM 348 Biochemistry II
- CHEM 405 Junior Seminar
- CHEM 406 Capstone
- CHEM 495 Independent Study
- CHEM 3XX Biophysical Chemistry
- CHEM 3XX Biological Analytical Chemistry
- CHEM 415 Biological Inorganic Chemistry
- CHEM 440 Advanced Topics in Biochemistry
- MATH 181 Calculus I
- MATH 182 Calculus II
- PHYS 174 Introductory Physics I (calculus-based)
- PHYS 184 Introductory Physics II (calculus-based)
- BIO 145 Foundations of Biology
- BIO 290 Cell Biology
- BIO 294 Human Physiology
- BIO 322 Genetics
- BIO 343 Developmental Biology
- BIO 284 Human Anatomy or BIO 282 Comparative Chordate Anatomy
A degree in biochemistry from Thiel College is a gateway to many career paths or graduate schools. Knowledge of the chemical reactions of substances in living systems applies well to many health care careers including the fields of medicine, dental, pharmaceuticals, and even veterinary. This program opens the door to other options as well such as agricultural chemicals, biotechnology, and consumer products industries!
Scholarships and Funding
Thiel College offers scholarships to students for reasons such as academic success, community service or involvement, exemplary leadership, and more! The scholarships available to biochemistry majors are:
- Marion G. Resch Science Scholarship at Thiel College
- Bennett-Heald-Safford Endowed Scholarship Fund
- Dr. Florence West Tribute to Dr. Bly
- The Dr. Judith A Crissman '64 Endowed Scholarship Fund
- The William B. Frank Minority Scholarship in the Physical Sciences
- Emil A. Lucas Chemistry Scholarship
- The Maenpa Family Biotechnology Endowed Scholarship Fund at Thiel College
- Elizabeth McElhaney Scholarship
- J. Scott Morrison Endowment for Science and Religion
- Paul H. Ralston Chemistry Award Fund
- Charles E. Rogers ’36 and Ruth G. Rogers Education Scholarship
- The Charles ’57 and Edna Semroc Scholarship Fund
- Arthur E. Smith Scholarship Fund
- Ruth Staudenmayer, R.N. Memorial Scholarship
- TWC Amelia Earhart Scholarship
- Irene Wintersteen Memorial Science Scholarship