B.Sc. Data Science and Big Data Technology
The Chinese University of Hong Kong - Shenzhen
CNY 95,000 / per year *
Earliest start date
* per year
Data Science and Big Data Technology provides a systematic curriculum of data collection, management, analysis, decision-making and etc. on the basis of mathematics and statistics foundations. Its contents include operations research, machine learning, optimization, operation management, decision science, and other related interdisciplinary fields. In addition to this basic knowledge, our program also cultivates students' ability to perform data analytics in a real environment through real case study and analysis of actual data.
Advantages and Features
First of all, we have a very strong faculty team - the team of professors of Data Science and Big Data Technology is composed of well-known scholars at home and abroad, all of whom have earned doctorates from world-class universities and have significant international influence in related fields of academia and industry. They have not only made outstanding achievements in research and won many international awards, but also have abundant teaching experience and cultivated lots of outstanding young talents.
Secondly, the major focus on the combination of theory and application. It consists of one advanced data science field and four application fields, which are operations management, life science, computing and economics and finance. Upon building a solid foundation, students can also choose one or more fields based on their interests to learn how to apply data science in various fields. This education model can broaden students’ knowledge as well as improve their competitiveness in advanced study and employment.
Application Scope and Career Direction
Big data technology is widely applied in finance, IT, medical care, logistics, education, and other industries. With the rapid development of the Internet, the market of big data-related industries keeps expanding and the talent gap is increasing. Graduated from this program, students may choose their career direction according to their own interests or continue their studies at renowned universities across the world.
Why CUHK Shenzhen?
- CUHK ranked 46th in the world and 9th in Asia (QS World University Rankings® 2020).
- One Brand, Two Campuses: CUHK SZ standards consistent with CUHK.
- Top tier teaching staff recruited globally.
- 17 undergraduate and 17 postgraduate fields of study that combine different disciplines, poised at the cutting edge of human knowledge.
- State of the art facilities on a large and comfortable world-class campus.
- A forward-looking comprehensive research university with a global vision.
- English as the language of instruction.
- Combining Chinese humanistic ideals with western liberal arts content.
- An international academic environment.
- A collegiate system modeled after CUHK to provide pastoral care and whole-person education.
- A lively campus setting with a wide range of activities to encourage social engagement.
- Study and build relationships with elite Chinese students.
- Shenzhen: China’s Silicon Valley and fastest-growing city. Headquarters of numerous high-tech multinational enterprises.
- Take your studies beyond the classroom into the Maker’s Workshop, Centre for Innovation, Design and Entrepreneurship, university research facilities, internships, and part-time work opportunities.
- Study abroad opportunities at elite universities worldwide.
- Living costs and tuition fees dramatically lower than universities in many other countries.
- University and government scholarships covering full accommodation and tuition fees.
- CUHK degrees awarded upon graduation.
- Approximately two-thirds of graduates continue to postgraduate study at the top 50 universities, including the University of Oxford, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Oxford, National University of Singapore, University of Cambridge, Cornell University, and Imperial College London.
- Almost 99% of graduates who seek employment find work soon after graduating from companies like Microsoft, Huawei, PwC, EY, Deloitte, KPMG, Tencent, IBM, P&G, Unilever, and Coca-Cola.
- CUHK Shenzhen Alumni program offers ongoing careers support, networking opportunities and connections back to the university to support your long term development.