Bachelor of Fine Arts in Acting
USD 24,586 / per year **
Request info *
Earliest start date
* rolling admission; for optimum scholarship consideration: priority admission I: apply by November 1; priority admission II: apply by February 1
** 2022-2023 tuition; total direct costs: $36,814; total cost of attendance: $42,384
Immersive, comprehensive, accelerated, and personalized — a program that will take you places.
Rigorous and highly immersive, the Acting program prepares students for their next role, whether it’s a position with a major national theatre company, a competitive MFA program, a fellowship, or an apprenticeship.
- Accelerated BFA program — three years/two summers (eight-semester program), including career-focused summer intensives.
- A comprehensive professional summer stock theatre company experience, the only program of its kind.
- A Summer Performing Arts Intensive that focuses on process and technique with classes taught by industry professionals.
- Extensive performance opportunities (by audition).
- Significant schedule of nationally and internationally recognized guest artists.
- Focus on “the business of the business” — career/professional planning and individualized preparation for the audition process, master’s programs, and fellowships.
- Based on the 2020-2021 Curriculum Catalog
- Degree: BFA
- Curriculum: ACTING (ACTING)
- Elective Courses: 4 credits
- General Education Courses: 31 credits
- Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD): 8 Non-Credit Classes
- Major courses: 85 credits (see the breakdown below)
Required Second Summer: 12 credits
- THA 360 Acting Workshop II (Okoboji), 6 credits
- THA 361 Production Workshop II (Okoboji), 3 credits
- THA 363 Theatre Management II (Okoboji), 3 credits
Required First Summer: 12 credits
- THA 223 Acting for the Camera/Self Tape - Audition Technique (SPAI), 1 credit
- THA 258 Stage Movement (SPAI), 2 credits
- THA 259 Acting I Intensive (SPAI), 2 credits
- THA 260 Theatre Production and Management I (STI), 3 credits
Required: 61 credits
- DAN 381 Social Dance Through the Ages, 3 credits
- MTHA 126 Intro Into the Profession/Audition Technique, 2 credits
- THA 122 Acting I: Acting Foundations, 3 credits
- THA 124 Acting II: American Realism, 3 credits
- THA 128 Voice and Speech for the Actor, 2 credits
- THA 205 Makeup for Theatre, 1 credit
- THA 213 Introduction to Stagecraft, 1 credit
- THA 227 Introduction to Stage Management, 1 credit
- THA 232 Directing I, 3 credits
- THA 251 Intro to Costuming, 1 credit
- THA 275 Acting III: Styles, 3 credits
- THA 280 Topics in Theatre Arts, 3 credits
- THA 313 Theatre History I, 3 credits
- THA 314 Theatre History II, 3 credits
- THA 320 Directing II, 3 credits
- THA 328 Voice and Speech for the Actor III, 3 credits
- THA 335 Acting IV: Contemporary, 3 credits
- THA 340 Movement for Actors, 3 credits
- THA 365 Dramatic Literature, 3 credits
- THA 370 On-Camera Fundamentals, 3 credits
- THA 420 Business of the Business, 2 credits
- THA 421 Acting V: Shakespeare, 3 credits
- THA 423 Acting VI: Acting for the Camera, 3 credits
- THA 426 Acting VII: Naturalism/Realism, 3 credits
- Students have significant opportunities to audition and perform. During the academic year, students audition for all Macklanburg Playhouse (mainstage) productions as well as for those produced by our student-run Warehouse Theatre Company.
- Our professional summer stock theatre company, Okoboji Summer Theatre, stages nine mainstage productions and four children’s theatre productions every summer.
- Students begin preparing for the realities of the business from their first semester. They are offered personalized feedback about their audition process and preparation for their next steps.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.