BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS
St Mary’s University Twickenham, London
Twickenham, United Kingdom
GBP 9,250 / per year *
Earliest start date
* home students; 14,850 GBP - international students
This course combines a degree with a qualification to teach (QTS). Education programmes at St Mary's ranked as number one in London according to The Guardian University League Tables 2020.
- St Mary’s graded ‘outstanding’ in all areas of teacher training (Ofsted 2019).
- 92% teaching satisfaction rating in the National Student Survey 2021.
- 98% of students from this course are employed or in further study 15 months after graduating (Graduate Outcomes Survey 2020).
Why St Mary's?
School experience is an integral part of the course. You spend a minimum of six weeks in school each year where you progress from teaching small groups to whole classes. Placements in schools are organised by us to ensure that you receive the appropriate level of support.
These placements could be close to the university or close to where you live, but you may be required to travel up to an hour each way.
We are a passionate and caring team of experienced tutors who strive for excellence in the theory and practice of teaching.
We seek to prepare teachers for both religious and secular schools with special provisions for those intending to teach in Roman Catholic schools.
Why study Primary Education with QTS?
Our degree programme trains you to teach children aged 5 to 11 years old. It teaches you how to educate and inspire future generations, and leads to fulfilling and rewarding careers.
- School Experience 1
- Professional Studies 1: Teaching and Learning
- Core English 1
- Core Mathematics 1
- English, Mathematics and Science Subject Knowledge Audits 1
- Core Science 1
- Core Physical Education 1
- Core Foreign Languages 1
- The Broader Curriculum: Expression
- The Broader Curriculum: Communication
- The Broader Curriculum: Innovation
- School Experience 2
- Professional Studies 2: Valuing Learners as Individuals
- Core English 2
- Core Mathematics 2
- English, Mathematics and Science Subject Knowledge Audits 2
- Core Science 2
- Core Physical Education 2
- Core Foreign Languages 2
- Cross-Curricular Learning
- Elective Module 1
- School Experience 3
- Professional Studies 3: Promoting Progression
- Core English 3
- Core Mathematics 3
- English, Mathematics and Science Subject Knowledge Audits 3
- Core Science 3
- Core Physical Education 3
- Core Foreign Languages 3
- Personal Research Project in Primary Education
- Elective Module 2
St Mary’s graduates are very successful in securing teaching appointments at the end of their studies. Many take up employment in one of our partnership schools and go on to inspire and mentor students who follow them through St Mary’s.
Many students continue on to study for one of our Master's degrees in education.
The Careers Service has more information on careers and postgraduate study options available to Primary Education students who have started their studies at St Mary’s.
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
A range of scholarships and bursaries are available to new undergraduate students. This includes:
- St Mary's bursary
- Vice-Chancellor's Excellence scholarship
- Care leavers' bursary
- International student scholarships
- Sports scholarships
- Sports coaching bursary