Bachelor of Science in Public Health
Slippery Rock University
Slippery Rock, USA
USD 18,472 / per year *
Earliest start date
* tuition for international students
Offered by: Public Health
Slippery Rock University's Public Health major is perfect for students looking for a degree that prepares them for a career that will allow them to make a difference in their community or graduate program. Public Health is more than just working in a doctor's office or hospital. Through this program, students discover the importance of staying healthy and how to relay that message to others.
Public Health is the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life, and promoting health through organized efforts. SRU's program emphasizes healthy lifestyles, multicultural health needs, research and advances in health, service learning, and the use of the latest health-related computer technology. In this program, you'll learn how to combine science, skills, and beliefs to become an effective leader in whatever area of public health you work in.
Slippery Rock University's Public Health major provides the basis for a rewarding career in health and wellness promotion or for a graduate program in a health-related field.
As a graduate of SRU's Public Health program, you'll be prepared to operate health programs that target specific population groups, such as those aimed at improving the quality of life for older adults or maternal programs designed to reduce the risk of low birth weight. Thanks to internships and a comprehensive curriculum, our graduates go on to careers in health statistics and substance abuse and risk management. Some have even gone on to serve as health coaches for insurance companies. In the past, students worked as interns at organizations such as UPMC Children's Hospital, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, the YMCA of Pittsburgh, and more.
Our graduates work in settings such as:
- State and local health departments
- Community-based wellness programs
- Non-profit health organizations
- Federal government health programs
The Public Health major also provides excellent preparation for graduate degree programs in fields like:
- Physical Therapy*
- Occupational Therapy*
- Physician Assistant*
- Masters and Doctoral Degrees in Public Health
- Medical Doctor (MD) / Osteopathic Physician (DO)
- Adapted Physical Activity
*You may choose between SRU's Pre-Physician Assistant program, Pre-Occupational Therapy program, or Pre-Physical Therapy program. The three pre-clinical programs provide opportunities to receive both a Public Health undergraduate degree and an advanced degree at an accelerated pace.
- Effective Professional Communication: Communicate with clients in an individual or group setting and with health professionals in a variety of health settings using a combination of communication skills for a clear exchange of ideas and information, listening and comprehending the viewpoints of others, effectively presenting information in oral and written formats and integrating media/technology.
- Professional Competency: Use reasoned judgment drawing upon a broad knowledge base from social, behavioral, and natural science, education, and health to assess, plan, implement, evaluate and coordinate health promotion for individuals and communities.
- Professional Ethics: Apply high ethical standards to public health practice with a sensitivity to multicultural traditions, legal issues, and adherence to a code of ethics of professional health organizations.
- Continual Professional and Personal Development: Continue personal and professional development in holistic health, including the components of physical, emotional, spiritual, social, environmental, and vocational health, through continuing education, advanced study, and participation in professional health organizations
Why Major in Public Health?
Good health is essential for all individuals, communities, private businesses, and industrial enterprises in our society. The dynamic and progressive Public Health program at SRU gives you the knowledge and skills to meet the growing demand for competent health professionals. This program provides you with hands-on learning experiences and the ability to turn education into action through student organizations.
The Collegiate Chapter of Pennsylvania Public Health Association at SRU allows students to meet alumni who are currently working in the field. Public Health majors also have other networking opportunities. Many students travel to attend state conferences. Organizations such as the Pre-Physician Assistant Club are designed to help bring together students with similar career or graduate school interests.
What Will You Learn?
In the Public Health program, you'll learn how to deliver health information and programs in community settings. You'll develop a strong background to prepare you for a future in fields such as:
- Health promotion
- Health education
- Health data management
- Further graduate study in a health-related field
Courses in this program include Nutrition and Health, Environmental Health, Biostatistics, and Nutrition and Expidemiology. Classes are taught by our full-time faculty and students gain valuable first-hand experience into how public health operates.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.