Founded in 1878, Southwest Baptist University is a Christian liberal arts university offering more than 100 areas of academic study at undergraduate and graduate levels throughout four physical campuses in Bolivar, Mountain View, Salem, and Springfield, Mo., plus an online campus.
Founded in 1878, Southwest Baptist University is a Christian liberal arts university with:
- More than 100 areas of academic study on undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels;
- Faculty who are passionate about you, your education, and your future success;
- Global service and mission projects to share your faith and develop as a servant leader;
- Vibrant campus life within a close-knit community for getting involved and developing lifelong friendships; and
- Five campuses throughout the southwest and south central Missouri. The 152-acre main campus is in Bolivar, Mo., population 10,300 about 25 minutes north of Springfield, Mo. Additional campuses are in Mountain View, Salem, and Springfield, Mo., and Online.
Liberal arts schools provide both breadth and depth. Breadth is offered across the curriculum with coursework in the arts, sciences, and humanities, with the goal of preparing students for life. Depth is provided through the major, which focuses on preparation for work in a specific field. In a Christian liberal arts education, the Christian lens is the primary lens for learning. Breadth and depth in a Christian liberal arts setting also mean a focus on critical thinking so that non-Christian perspectives are examined (but not endorsed) and students are prepared to serve in secular careers and in service to Christ.