Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences (SeAMK) is a multidisciplinary institution of higher education and an efficient actor in education and research, development and innovation (RDI) in the region of South Ostrobothnia in West Finland. Our goal is to be the best university for our students (Vision 2030). The comprehensive education offer in six fields of education, combined with high-quality research, development and innovation services, enables SeAMK to be effective regionally, nationally and internationally.
We currently have about 5,000 students, of which 10% are international degree students. We have approximately 400 employees. SeAMK has 21 Bachelor's and 13 Master's degree programs. Five (5) degree programs are totally taught in English. Also, double degree programs are available in the fields of technology and business.
Facts about SeAMK
- About 5000 students, 10 % international students
- +400 academic teaching and other staff members
- 21 bachelor degree programs
- 13 master degree programs
- 5 degree programs totally taught in English
- Double degree agreements in 8 countries
- 10 exchange programs
- 200 partner universities in more than 50 countries in Europe, Asia, North America, South America, Africa and Australia
- SeAMK was founded in 1992 through a merger of various institutes, each of which had a history of up to more than 100 years
Fields of education
SeAMK provides education aiming at high-level professional qualification in the following fields:
- Food and Hospitality
- Health Care and Social Work
- Natural Resources
Mission, Vision and Values
The mission of SeAMK is to increase know-how, competitiveness, and welfare.
International, entrepreneurial SeAMK – Best for our students.
Values of SeAMK
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- SeAMK spirit
Internationalization is a strategic aim of SeAMK. We have about 200 partner universities in 50 different countries all over the world. Active student and academic mobility, RDI projects and international conferences are a vital part of our international activities.
Research, Development and Innovation at SeAMK
The RDI (research, development and innovation) activities of SeAMK are focused on multidisciplinary core expertise areas, which are congruent with the strategic focal areas of the University Consortium of South Ostrobothnia. The aim of the RDI activities is to support business operations requiring high-level expertise. The volume of annual outside research financing is about 5 million euros. Every year, more than 100 people contribute to the RDI activities of SeAMK. All six fields of education at SeAMK have both educational activities and research, development and innovation (RDI) activities.
Profile Areas of SeAMK
In education and in RDI activities as well as in networks SeAMK has concentrated on the profile areas, which are:
- Food safety
- Digital manufacturing and industrial internet
- Wellbeing technology
- Growth entrepreneurship and business transfers
- An emerging field: Circular economy with sustainability
These areas of expertise are being developed based on regional and international needs and our special strengths.