Bachelor of Smart Power Systems
Riga Technical University
Earliest start date
We are facing an energy revolution. Join us in developing the smart power system of the future.
Society depends on electricity. Cars, trains, and ships are electrified, and consumers can produce electricity themselves. We expect electricity when we need electricity. This creates new challenges for the power system. The entire electrical infrastructure must be further developed and maintained for efficient and reliable energy supply.
Students looking for a well-paid career choice for the future can choose to study Smart Power Systems at RTU. Coursework provides the opportunity to upskill in theoretical and practical understanding of power systems, sustainability, and electronic, and electrical engineering with links to industry-related topics and employability skills.
Seeking a dynamic electrical engineering degree that takes you beyond the traditional content, considering the crucial changes, already implemented in modern power systems today, as well as future developments? This program is for you.
Degree awarded: Professional bachelor’s degree in Energy and Electrical Engineering/Electrical Engineer.
Get the resources you need to make informed decisions about your education. Contact the Riga Technical University International Cooperation and Foreign Students Department:
Admission office Tel:
+ 371 67 08976
+ 371 67 089020
Email: [email protected]
The Smart Power Systems program examines the crucial changes in modern power systems today, as well as developments for a sustainable energy future.
The aim of the study program is to prepare a new generation of graduates in the field of electric power systems and networks, electric power transmission and distribution, their modes, stability, and reliability, actively implementing smart technologies, namely:
- Optimal control technologies applicable to the energy market as well as to generation, transmission, distribution, consumption, and energy-saving.
- Expertise in energy demand and saving, efficient energy use techniques in construction, manufacturing, the primary sector, and the transport industry.
- Development of various control systems and energy efficiency models and their integration.
Students gain a broad knowledge and in-depth understanding of electric power systems and networks and smart power technologies, with a curriculum that includes:
- Innovative Product Development and Entrepreneurship
- Digital Electronics and Computer Architecture
- Maintenance of Power Stations and Substations
- Legal Framework for Energy Construction and Electricity Industries
- Fundamentals of Electrodynamics
- Energy Management and Accounting Systems
- RTU graduates understand, design, analyze, and work effectively in industrial settings utilizing product/process control systems and electrical power systems.
From the first semester on campus to the months leading up to graduation, the program is designed to satisfy the educational needs of students by providing a climate that fosters self-awareness, personal growth, and a desire for lifelong learning.
As the expansion of smart power technologies continues — and as security challenges arise because of that expansion — employment opportunities for electrical engineering graduates with the essential knowledge, technical know-how, and leadership skills are in very high demand.
Program alumni leave campus prepared for the large variety of jobs in the power system sector—from smart meters and demand side management, electrical power control and applications, load forecasting, distribution or transmission, energy generation, renewables, energy storage, and a host of other diverse industries.