BSc in Environmental Management with Professional Studies
Queen's University of Belfast - Medical Faculty
Belfast, United Kingdom
GBP 4,710 / per year
Earliest start date
In BSc in Environmental Management with Professional Studies, the growing changes affecting the natural environment, and the increasing role of environmental policies affecting businesses and organizations are creating new and challenging career opportunities for those familiar with issues of sustainable development, planning, and environmental protection and management.
The BSc in Environmental Management with Professional Studies explores the physical, social, economic, and cultural aspects of environmental management. It combines aspects of science, geography, and environmental planning with an environmental work placement to understand the environmental systems in which we live and work.
Students will be enabled to understand; issues of sustainable development, conservation, and environmental protection and management, the integrated and holistic nature of environmental management, and how to devise, manage and critically evaluate project work.
Environmental Management With Professional Studies Degree Highlights
Students on this course will undertake a 46-week placement in an organization which will help to develop the vital skills they will need to progress to employment.
- Degrees accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- Students must complete a one-year placement between Stages 2 and 3. This placement will help students apply their degree to a workplace environment, and build a foundation for future career opportunities. Work placements take place in a wide range of organizations including Farrans, Northstone Quarries, SITA Waste Management, Ulster Wildlife Trust, Colin Glen, National Trust, Property developers, Property management companies, Environmental consultancies, and Councils. Work placement overseas is encouraged and students have worked in America, New Zealand, Australia, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, and England.
World Class Facilities
- This program is jointly delivered by the School of Biological Sciences and by the School of Natural and Built Environment. Students will benefit from the facilities available in these two schools, including a Marine Laboratory in Portaferry. Environmental Management is linked closely to the Institute for Global Food Security, one of the three major research centers in the University, and it is primarily taught by members of the Institute.
Internationally Renowned Experts
- The course will include ‘Dragons’ Den presentations to external experts in the final year for the module Business Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Planning and Geography modules will host guest lectures from business practitioners. Site visits will be an important component of many modules, including Environmental Management, Environmental Assessment, Policies for Environmental Sustainability, Dynamic Earth, and Environmental Change.
Scholarships and Funding
We offer prestigious, competitive scholarships of up to 50% off tuition fees to new international students. You must have an offer to study a full-time course with us in 2023 to apply for a scholarship. Find out more by contacting the university.
Year Out (Professional Studies)
All students will spend a minimum of 46 weeks in a work placement during which they will carry out some project-type work. Students will begin preparations for the placement in the first semester of Stage 2 and the placement will be assessed within the module Professional Studies which is usually undertaken at the end of the second semester.
Program Tuition Fee
Careers are diverse, not only in the rural and land use industries and government services but also in private sector industries, financial institutions, and agribusiness concerns of various kinds.
Graduates will know the natural environment, be able to demonstrate familiarity with sustainable development, conservation, and environmental protection issues, as well as an understanding of the integrated and holistic nature of land use and environmental management.
Possible careers include environmental management (private and public sectors) and include consultancy and environmental impact assessment with environmental organizations (eg Royal Society for the Protection of Birds(RSPB), and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF). Graduates can become Chartered Surveyors. Opportunities also exist within the full range of occupations associated with graduate employment.
Employment after the Course
Students who graduate from the Environmental Management programs have primarily embraced careers in the following areas: environmental management; environmental consultancy; environmental conservation; environmental surveying.
Graduates from this course have found employment in several organizations, including:
- Action Renewables
- The Consumer Council
- Environment Agency
- RecyCo Waste Management
- Royal Society for the Protection of Birds(RSPB)
- Rural Planning Services (RPS)Consulting
- ESB International
- McQuillan Environmental
- ATG Group
- Clarity Consultancy NI
- DevineAir Limited
- Connswater Community Greenway
- John McCaffrey Associates
- Bryson Recycling
- Ards and North Down Borough Council
- Loughs Agency
Degree plus award for extra-curricular skills
In addition to your degree programme, at Queen's you can have the opportunity to gain wider life, academic and employability skills. For example, placements, voluntary work, clubs, societies, sports, and lots more. So not only do you graduate with a degree recognized by a world-leading university, you'll have practical national and international experience plus a wider exposure to life overall. We call this Degree Plus. It's what makes studying at Queen's University Belfast special.