Northwestern State University is a responsive, student-oriented institution committed to acquiring, creating, and disseminating knowledge through innovative teaching, research, and service. With its certificate, undergraduate, and graduate programs, Northwestern State University prepares its increasingly diverse student population to contribute to an inclusive global community with a steadfast dedication to improving our region, state, and nation.
Northwestern State University was established in 1884 in the old Bullard Mansion atop a hill overlooking the bustling river port city of Natchitoches. In 1921, The Louisiana State Normal School, which initially offered a 2-year degree program to prepare educators, began offering a 4-year educator degree program and was renamed the Louisiana Normal College. In 1944, the further expansion of degree offerings led to the school’s name being changed to Northwestern State College. In 1970, the college achieved university status and was renamed the title it still holds today: Northwestern State University of Louisiana.
Today, over 136 years later, three columns remain of the original structure on what is now called Normal Hill in a National Historic District. This location is the oldest continually occupied site for higher education in Louisiana. Ever-growing, Northwestern State also serves the region at its off-campus instructional sites in Shreveport, Alexandria, and Fort Polk.