BA in Sport Management
North Central College
USD 42,866 / per year *
Earliest start date
* tuition fee
Why pursue a sports management degree at North Central College?
Most observers don’t realize that a career in sports can require an extremely broad knowledge base. Our sport management program will provide you with both the broad-based curriculum and the practical experience you’ll need to succeed. In fact, this combination is what sets North Central sport management program graduates apart from the competition.
You can also:
- Learn from faculty, administrators, and industry professionals with firsthand experience in sports.
- Interact with sports industry experts on topics such as sports entrepreneurship; running youth sports clubs and leagues; identifying risk management and liability issues in athletics venues; rules and governance changes in the NCAA; sports psychology; career opportunities within the sport management field; and so many more.
- Join the SportxNC, an organization for undergraduate students interested in networking, increasing their marketability, discussing current sports industry topics, organizing events, and taking on leadership roles on special projects and committees.
- Take advantage of North Central College’s location in one of the most vibrant sports communities in the country. Professional sports experiences include volunteering, internships, job shadowing, gameday experiences, and networking in a variety of settings.
- Additional opportunities include learning tools of the trade-in hospitality and fan services with the Chicago Bears or Chicago Fire; sales with the Chicago Dogs, the Windy City Bulls, or Kane County Cougars; sport and event management with Game Day USA, the Chicago Marathon, or Spikeball; tourism and marketing with Premier Sport Tourism and the city of Naperville, golf course and country club management from venues like Cress Creek or Cog Hill; sports and training facility operations from the Bulls-Sox Academy and health & fitness clubs such as the Title Boxing Club; and high school athletic or collegiate intramural administration from a number of local institutions.
Sport Management, BA
The Sport Management program is designed to provide the academic foundation and practical experience required to make an impact in today's sports industry. Business and sport-focused courses with tailored emphasis in a student's chosen area provide a unique combination in preparing students to be curious, engaged, ethical, and purposeful citizens and leaders.
- SMGT 101 - Contemporary Sport Studies
- SMGT 210 - Sport Marketing
- SMGT 220 - Sport Budgeting and Finance
- SMGT 230 - Sports Law, Ethics and Organization
- SMGT 310 - Applied Sport Sales
- SMGT 330 - Sports Facility and Event Management
- SMGT 450 - Sports Management Senior Capstone
- SMGT 490 - Sports Management Internship Seminar
- SMGT 497 - Sports Management Internship
Note: Students must also choose a minor from another NCC department to complete the major.
Additional Requirements for the BA Degree
Students must demonstrate elementary competence in a foreign language.
A North Central education integrates sports management career preparation with rich academic study. Our faculty encourages you to refine and apply your knowledge in an interconnected world. Here you'll learn to think independently and work globally to solve problems and lead.
Recent graduates in sports management interned with:
- Chicago Bears
- Chicago Cubs
- Chicago Fire
- Chicago Bulls/White Sox Training Academy
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Normal CornBelters professional baseball
- Chicago Bandits professional softball
- Sydney Kings Australian professional basketball
- Sports Management Worldwide
- Wheatland Athletic Association
- Neuqua Valley High School
- NCAA DIII Indoor Track & Field National Championships
- Windy City Bulls
- Chicago Empire FC
- Kane County Cougars
- Chicago Sky
- Darien Sportsplex
- Chicago Steel
- Golf Invite
- Big Ten Conference
- Chicago Sports Commission
- NFL Draft
- Chicago Area Runners Association (CARA)
- Walt Disney World Resort
Recent graduates in sports management include:
- All Physical therapy, Marketing Communications
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs, TrackMan Operator
- Chicago Bears, ticket sales and service
- Tampa Bay Rays, ticket sales
- Chicago Red Stars women’s professional soccer, box office coordinator
- Campbellsville University, head cross country coach
- Chicago Fire men’s professional soccer, marketing coordinator
- Title Boxing Club, assistant manager
- Premier Tourism Marketing, sports marketing manager
- ESPN, associate jr. account manager
- New York Islanders
- Chicago White Sox, New Business Account Representative
- Learfield Sports, Partnership Services Coordinator
- Disney Sports/ESPN Wide World of Sports, sales associate
- Kansas City Royals, Assistant to Dominican Operations
- Vivid Seats, Customer Services
- Fanduel, Customer Services
- Vail Resorts, Product Sales Lead