The predecessors of Nagoya City University (NCU) are Nagoya Women's Medical College and Nagoya Pharmaceutical College. In 1950, NCU made a start by merging both into two faculties, namely: the Medical School under the old education system, and the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences under the new education system. In 1955, NCU set up the Medical School under the new education system.
Looking back into the histories of its two predecessors, Nagoya Pharmaceutical College originated in 1884 as a private school named "Nagoya School of Pharmacy." It then grew to Nagoya Pharmaceutical Training School in 1936 and to Nagoya Pharmaceutical College in 1949. On the other hand, Nagoya Women's Medical College came into being in 1943 as a five-year school formerly named "Nagoya Municipal Women's Higher Medical School" in response to the calling of the time. It was the nation's first public "women's medical college." Instituting additional three preparatory courses in 1947, it became Nagoya Women's Medical College.
Meanwhile, Nagoya Municipal Hospital, the predecessor of the University Hospital of NCU, was established in 1931 together with a nursing school affiliated with it. This affiliated nursing school evolved into Affiliated Women's Welfare High School, then into the Nursing School of NCU, and then into Nagoya City University College of Nursing, and finally into the present School of Nursing of NCU.