BEng Honours Electronic Engineering
Middlesex University Dubai
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
AED 167,100 *
Earliest start date
* total fee
The BEng Electronic Engineering programme aims to produce professional and competent Electronic Engineers capable of playing an active role in meeting the challenges and opportunities that arise in contemporary industrial and commercial practices. Students will develop core electronics design capabilities, which are developed and enhanced progressively through the course. This programme explores the principles underlying the design and implementation of up-to-date analogue and digital systems needed in a variety of problem domains and provides the opportunity to realise such systems.
Graduates of the programme will be well equipped for careers as Design Engineers, CAD Technicians, Electrical Engineers. They will be able to work in areas that include electronics, automotive, IT, telecoms, manufacturing and many more.
Why Study BEng Honours Electronic Engineering?
The programme will enable students to build upon existing familiarity with Mathematics and Sciences and develop their skills in the use of laboratory and test equipment; creation of models and prototypes of engineering systems; writing computer programs; applying mathematical methods, computer models and scientific approach to solving problems in engineering design; and implement them successfully, thus meeting the requirements of the industries in demand for electronics engineers.
Students will focus on learning analogue and digital electronic theories and putting these into practice by building a range of complex electronic circuits using the latest industry hardware and software methods and tools equipped in our labs and workshops. The course also introduces students to the design and implementation of system-on-a-chip and systems engineering approaches to problem-solving.
The special features of the programme are:
- Practical hands-on work in modern ESD protected labs to illustrate the application of theory and concepts.
- Practical competencies in Electronic Engineering.
- Students have an edge as the University works with companies such as Dell, IBM, Oracle and SAS in addition to being Cisco Net Academy – meaning the student will have access to the latest equipment and can make use of specialist teaching materials and workshops.
- Programme content is enriched by providing industry engagement opportunities to students through industry speakers and field trips.
- Enrolment into the CISCO academy and opportunity to complete CCNA course.
- Develop project management skills related to electronic engineering projects and the opportunity to implement these skills in the final year project.
- Develop transferable technical skills as well as a strong background in professional ethics.
- Career coaching is available through the Careers and Employability Service.
- Option to transfer to London campus.
Mode of Study Options: It is expected that by September 2021 we will have In-person classes and these could be supported by an online element. It is too early to commit to a 100% Online at present as it will depend on the Health & Safety situation and KHDA permissions. We can say at present that if the Health & Safety situation warrants it there could be a 100% online along with in-person classes.
Classes are held at our Dubai Knowledge Park campus from Sunday to Thursday between 8:30 am and 6:30 pm. Additional sessions may be scheduled over the weekend or holiday periods and you should expect to receive notice of these in advance.
You will be actively involved in a range of learning, teaching and assessment approach as part of your programme. These approaches ensure that you are involved and engaged by placing you at the centre of your own learning. You will be required to actively participate in learning activities and engagement with your fellow students, both individually and collaboratively. Faculty increasingly use existing and emerging technologies and your programme will be facilitated using a variety of media and online tools (My Learning on UniHub, podcasts, wikis, etc.) which will allow you access to a diverse range of online resources and learning materials. By engaging in e-learning you will also be developing skills of which are essential for your learning and highly valued by employers. Such skills including flexibility, communication, IT skills and teamwork.
Virtual Open Days
Take part in our Virtual Open Days, where you can speak to faculty and staff to find out more about our wide range of programmes, entry requirements, scholarships, study modes, and get a feel for what it’s like to study at a world-class UK university in Dubai.
Students will study core modules such as Fundamentals of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Computing and Electronic Engineering Skills and Projects, Programming Paradigms for Physical Computing and Internet of Things, Practical Applications of Mathematics for Engineering, Analogue Electronics, Digital System Design, internet-scale and real-time systems development, Signal Processing and Communications, System Design and Validation, System-on-Chip Design and Implementation.
The programme will focus on the modelling and analysis of relevant engineering systems. It will engage students in the process of learning through practice-based individual as well as group activities and projects enabling them to develop their team-working and communication skills which are required in the industry. Throughout the course, they will build confidence to develop and implement modern technologies relevant to electronic products and systems.
Module and programme information is indicative and may be subject to change.
Note: Both core and optional modules are constantly updated and under review. As with most academic programmes, please remember that it is possible that a module may not be offered in any particular year, for instance, because too few students opt for it. Middlesex University reserves the right to vary or withdraw any course or module.
- Practical Applications of Mathematics for Engineering (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Programming Paradigms for Physical Computing and Internet of Things (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Fundamentals of Electronics and Communication Engineering (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Computing and Electronic Engineering Skills and Projects 1 (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Analogue Electronics (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Electronic Engineering Projects 2 (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Signal Processing and Communications (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Digital System Design (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- System Design and Validation (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Major Project (60 Credits) - Compulsory
- System-on-Chip Design and Implementation (30 Credits) - Compulsory
This programme will prepare students to work in a number of areas including design engineering, electrical, electronic, computer and engineering. The breadth of opportunities available after completing an electronics engineering degree is immense. Careers range from electronics or associated industries such as robotics, mechatronics, automation etc. all over the world. Graduates may also start their own business in electronic design and/or production and be a part of the automation boom. Alternatively, graduates may continue studying towards a Master's or PhD, where this electronics degree will provide a strong foundation.