BSc (Hons) Computer Science
Request info *
Earliest start date
* rolling admissions
* contact us to discuss your individual tuition payment plan
- No1 in Greece | Top 30 in the UK.
- Cutting-edge programming languages.
- High-Performance Computing Labs.
- 3 available pathways.
The Mediterranean College Computing School has 30+ years of experience and offers a variety of updated programmes, designed in consultation with IT industry leaders, to provide the most current knowledge in Computer Science and Networks. The programme has been designed by the University of Derby, a Top 30 UK University, according to the Guardian University Guide 2020 and holds an outstanding reputation within the computing industry.
The programme focuses on computer programming, with an emphasis on practical techniques underpinned by theory and informed by research. As an “industry-standard” computer science programme, it gives an insight into the latest programming tools, languages and industry methods to help you develop software independently, reliably and effectively, meeting today’s industry needs.
Year 1 is common for all students. In year 2, you may continue with the Computer Science stream or choose one of the following pathways: Computer Games Programming or Networks & Security.
What you will study
The BSc (Hons) Computer Science degree will help you become a skilled computer programmer, adept at developing software and fully aware of the tools and methodologies that underpin software engineering.
You will study applied computer science with a strong emphasis on practical programming skills, using cutting-edge software development tools, in our industry-standard High-Performance Computing Labs. You’ll explore core topics such as the programming languages C/C++, C#, Java, PHP, Python, computer graphics, application development, systems programming, data mining & language design.
Why choose this course
- The degree is awarded by the University of Derby, a top-ranked British university (TOP30, Guardian University Guide, 2020).
- It is a Computer Science programme - not Computing or Information Technology - to become a scientist, not just a professional in IT.
- It is an industry-standard programme, with various software development environments and cutting-edge programming languages.
- You are taught in modern High-Performance Computing Labs, Cisco-certified Network Labs, and Microsoft Azure Labs.
- You are involved in real operational application development projects, based on virtual or real businesses.
- You have the opportunity to change direction in the 2nd year of studies: Cyber Security or Games Programming.
- You evolve into a bilingual IT professional, with excellent academic and professional prospects.
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
We offer partial scholarships to international students ranging from 20%-35%
You’ll learn through a mixture of lectures, workshops, tutorials and substantial e-learning material. Emphasis is placed on the development of practical programming skills, through the use of cutting-edge software development tools in our “industry-standard” labs. You’ll be assessed via individual assignments, group assignments, presentations and online tests.
Whichever pathway you choose, you’ll take part in a team project during the second year. We set up fictional software development companies and you’ll be asked to work for one of these, playing your part in developing a high-quality, realistic product in a set timescale. This is a safe way to experience what it’s like to work in the industry and will give you a sense of the challenges involved in delivering complicated projects on time.
You will also be asked to work on a smaller project for a real-world client. Again, it will give you important experience in the professional sphere and of what skills you will need to succeed. In the final year, one-third of your assessment is for your Independent Study. This can either be a significant piece of research into an area that interests you, or a project to create, test and evaluate an innovative solution in computing.
- Foundation of Computer & IT Systems
- Computational Mathematics
- Fundamentals of Network & Security
- Computer Systems, Data Structures & Data Management
- Games Technologies
- English I
- Programming Language Paradigms
- Legal & Ethical Issues in Computing & Data Sciences
- Software Engineering
- Network Systems Development
- Real-Time Environment Development
- Data-Driven Systems
- Team Project
- Operating Systems
- Concurrency & Communication
- Individual project
- Data Mining & Foundations of AI
- Security Management
Your degree is recognised in Greece as professionally equivalent to degrees awarded by Greek state universities. It is also recognized by the UK NARIC as academic and professionally equivalent to any UK degree.
After successfully completing the programme, you may continue for postgraduate study in technical or management areas, in Greece or abroad. At Mediterranean College, you may choose:
- MSc Cyber Security
- MSc Big Data Analytics
- MBA Global
Alternatively, you can specialise in Games Programming with our Professional Diploma Games Programming, focus on Networks, by following the CCNA or CCNP certification in our authorised Cisco Academy, or study any other CPD course of Mediterranean Professional Studies.
As a Computer Science graduate, you will acquire wide-ranging skills, which could lead on to many different careers in the computing field and beyond. You will have the skills to respond to technological developments and the constantly changing needs of the IT industry.
Specifically, you can build a career in the following sectors:
- Software development
- Content development
- Software engineer
- Systems engineer
- Cloud & Data networks
- Database architect/administrator
- Computer & mobile applications
- Multimedia applications
- Networking applications
- Sales of IT solutions
- Business IT consulting