BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Systems Engineering)
Middlesex University Mauritius
Flic en Flac, Mauritius
Earliest start date
The BSc Computer Science (Systems Engineering) programme has been developed over many years and honed to ensure the curriculum is current, flexible and responsive to the evolving international and local needs.
Overview - Why Sign Up?
The ICT industry is a very important one in Mauritius and the region, involving hundreds of companies and thousands of employees. The programme offered is in line with the Vision 2030 to transform Mauritius into a Cyber Island and make ICT an important engine of economic growth. Some 600 ICT companies presently operate in Mauritius, in a wide range of activities including software development, call centre operations, business process outsourcing (BPO), IT-enabled services (ITES), web-enabled services, training, hardware assembly and sales, artificial Intelligence (AI), asset management, networking, consultancy, multimedia development, disaster recovery (DR) and other support services. By combining two key subject areas, Computer Science and Systems Engineering the programme has been designed to meet the requirements of a range of ICT companies by preparing students with knowledge and skills acquired from the combination of both fields of study so that they can build on their technical and critical thinking abilities, within a technology rich environment.
Graduates of the programme will be equipped with professional and employable skills and attributes such as:
- Multidisciplinary skills;
- Business-oriented knowledge and awareness;
- Ability to communicate effectively through a range of scenarios to different stakeholders;
- Ability to participate in and manage projects;
- Easily access professional qualifications suited to the industry needs (CEng, BCS, CCNA, MCSE, RHCE, HCNA et
Scholarships and Funding
You can also receive financial support to help with the cost of your studies that is based on your personal circumstances. Scholarships recognise your academic excellence and other achievements and, unlike a loan, you don't have to pay them back.
Scholarships can reduce your tuition fees or help pay your living expenses. You are only eligible to receive one scholarship award from Middlesex University.
- Computing Systems Architecture and Operating Systems (30 credits) - Compulsory
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (30 credits) - Compulsory
- Information in Organisations (30 credits) - Compulsory
- Introduction to Programming (30 credits) – Compulsory
- Systems Engineering for Robotics (30 credits)
- Information Systems Analysis and Design (30 credits)
- Software Engineering Management and Development (30 credits) - Compulsory
- Web Applications and Databases (30 credits) - Compulsory
- Project Management and Professional Practice (30 credits) - Compulsory
- UG Individual Project (30 credits) - Compulsory
- Business Intelligence (30 credits)
- Novel Interactive technologies (30 credits)
- UX Design (30 credits)
- Artificial Intelligence (30 Credits)
- Advanced Web Development with Big Data (30 credits)
- Testing and Verification (30 credits)
The first year gives you a good grounding in computer science and networking as well as an introduction to some programming. In the second year you will improve your knowledge of software development and web applications. You will also have the chance to take a module in systems engineering for Robotics. At the same time you will have to study about research methods which will equip you with the right skills and knowledge to undertake projects. The final year is comprised of four modules out of which three of them can be chosen from optional modules list. Amongst these, you will have the opportunity to undertake a compulsory individual project with a supervisor with specialist knowledge of their field. The modules on the programme can be found below.
What will you gain
- You will learn the essential facts, key aspects, theories and principles of computer science and systems engineering concepts.
- You will get conversant with a variety of programming languages; program design; system development; software design methodologies; database design and management; web technologies.
- You will be knowledgeable in professional, moral and ethical issues involved in the exploitation of computer technology and the adoption of appropriate professional, ethical and legal practices.
- You will apply the principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines to specify, design and construct effective implementation strategies for computer-based systems which are consistent with a wide range of needs including those found in industry.
- You will specify user/system interfaces and translate logical designs into physical designs taking account of the target environment, performance requirements and existing systems.
- You will demonstrate practical competencies in the development, use or operation of database web management system tools, facilities and in the selection, provision and use of database architectures, software and facilities.
- You will recognise any risk and safety aspects that may be involved in the operation of tools and computing equipment within a given context.
Program Tuition Fee
It is advances in the computer systems engineering domain that will truly dictate the way that people live their lives in the technological age. Upon graduating, you will be fully equipped with the technical and analytical skills needed to secure jobs in this growing field.
You could progress onto the master’s course or advance your career within global companies in wireless and digital design, network design and implementation, network planning, mobile internet applications and services development.
Your career options may include
- Data Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer Systems Engineer
- Computer Network Architect
- Web Developer
- Computer Systems Analyst