Bachelor of Arts (BA) in International Studies Loras College
The International Studies major is a rigorous program that’s unique in that it draws its faculty from several different departments to create a truly interdisciplinary curriculum. Students develop an in-depth understanding of major themes in international relations, current global issues, recent world history, and modern cultures and societies, along with gaining analytical skills suited for the study of other societies and international issues.
In the course of study, students gain expertise in a particular region of the world and develop a thematic concentration from wide-ranging fields, such as international development and migration, human rights and law, diplomacy and foreign affairs, international business and commerce, literature, religion, popular culture, and the fine arts. This adaptability makes for innovative, interesting, and career-flexible graduates.
Student Learning Outcomes – International Studies
- Demonstrate an understanding of global issues from disciplinary and interdisciplinary perspectives
- Exhibit comprehension and awareness of contemporary thematic dynamics of different global regions
- Display an appreciation and knowledge of diverse worldviews and cultures
- Demonstrate intercultural competencies and values
- Ability to perform original research based on interdisciplinary methods, theories, and primary sources
- Convey complex information and interdisciplinary ideas in written and oral form that is clear, robust, carefully edited, well organized, and stylistically engaging and accessible.
“What can you do with an International Studies degree?”
As an International Studies major, you will be prepared for a variety of interesting careers:
- International Development Agencies
- Diplomacy and Foreign Affairs
- International Business and Financial Services
- Public Relations
- International Education Services, Research, and Teaching
- Public Policy and Non-Governmental Organizations