London Film Academy
London, United Kingdom
Distance Learning, On-Campus
GBP 37,000 / per year *
Earliest start date
* £18,500 per year
Our 2-year BA (Hons) Filmmaking is geared towards the real-world and offers professional film education in a practical setting and within our in-house studios. Our teachers are industry professionals, working in film and television.
Throughout the course you will gain a thorough grounding in the key areas of the filmmaking process, from script to screen, and become multi-skilled and adaptable, favouring the art of collaborative storytelling rather than working as a solo auteur. You learn how to quickly adapt to the professional world as you start your career in the industry.
Finally, you will work with an array of exceptionally talented and high-calibre guest speakers and tutors from around the globe, all of who are working in the industry now in between delivering the course. Our teachers share their insights and offer you practical and current training in film production for both documentary and fictional storytelling.
We create film professionals who exemplify outstanding filmmaking skills, promote teamwork, and are well versed in all areas of the filmmaking process when graduating from our school.
What our graduates have worked on:
What you will learn and gain from your time at LFA:
- In-depth, hands-on, practical training across the key disciplines of filmmaking: Directing, Screenwriting, Cinematography, Sound, Editing, Production (including Production Design) and 1st Assistant Directing.
- Small class sizes in an encouraging milieu with an excellent staff-to-student ratio.
- Training with practising film & TV industry tutors and guest speakers who are passionate and approachable, teaching up-to-date skills using industry-standard equipment and software.
- Well-thought-out work placements in top UK companies which give real-world experiences and help you generate future contacts. We boast placements in companies like The Imaginarium (co-founded by Andy Serkis, director ‘Breathe’, ‘Mowgli’, actor ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy & ‘Black Panther’), award-winning post-production house Evolutions, and Creativity Media (BAFTA-nominated productions) to name a few examples.
- Guidance and career development.
- A strong emphasis on teamwork and collaborative learning, rather than working autonomously; after all, our course mirrors the real-life professional arena while still covering the necessary theoretical elements.
- Film festival access and invitations to key networking events that will help elevate your industry knowledge, your contacts and your personal film work.
- No hidden costs - course materials and film budgets are all included in the course fee.
LFA is a registered higher education provider with the Office for Students (OfS) and listed on their Register, meaning that we meet the OfS requirements for academic standards, course quality, student support, and student protection. And we are validated by the University of Derby (Awarded a Gold rating in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework, recognising the highest quality of Higher Education teaching in the UK).
This course is for ages 18 and above (we can consider 17-year-olds who turn 18 in the first year of the course).
The two-year course is delivered over 6 terms and totals 360 academic credits. The ethos of the programme is to teach creative, academic, technical and professional skills in an integrated way in an industry-standard setting. To this end, teaching initially takes place through interactive lectures, seminars, workshops and screenings and is then continued in a practical setting through shared film productions, in-company work placements and independent study.