Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Technology
Kaunas University of Technology
EUR 3,727 / per year
Earliest start date
Providing people with quality, safe and healthy food daily is one of the most important global challenges that food scientists and technologists are facing today. By studying bachelor’s in Food Science and Technology at KTU, you will gain the interdisciplinary competencies and skills necessary for the future food technologist in the fields of food chemistry, microbiology, nutrition, technology, and engineering. Also, you will integrate specialty knowledge with the fundamentals of entrepreneurship and economics.
This is one of a few bachelor’s study programs in Lithuania in the field of food technology, and the only one that has been awarded the international EQAS-Food Label quality mark. KTU is the only university in the Baltic States that offers studies on an international level accredited with this quality mark.
- Access to the food technology labs, which are provided with pilot-scale technological lines used to model and perform various technological processes;
- The students gain practical skills while working together with experienced food technologists, being involved in real-life problem solving;
- The graduates of this program are valued by the employers for their unique mix of skills and knowledge in food technologies, food engineering, food chemistry, and microbiology.
A junction between exact and life sciences
Food science is closely related to mathematics, microbiology, food chemistry, and engineering sciences. The knowledge in all these fields is necessary to a specialist for the effective performance of everyday functions of the food technologist.
Famous food technologists are invited to the studies
In this study program, the theoretical knowledge is supplemented with practical skills which future specialists develop with the help of experienced food technologists. Through the joint work with them in the laboratories, future food technologists can check themselves and try their first ideas in the practice.
Good knowledge of the overall food chain
Working in a company, the food technologist participates in various activities related to food production, safety, quality, distribution, and consumption, therefore, is able to integrate specialty knowledge with nutrition, business, and management basics.
- Physical and chemical analysis of food: analysis of composition and properties of food substance, its function in the food and function in the human organism applying the skills of research work;
- Microbiological analysis of food: Knowledge of the composition, properties of microorganisms, their occurrence in food, biochemical processes;
- Management of food quality and safety: Establishment and assurance of production methods, material and quality standards;
- Technologies and engineering: Design of food and catering companies, organization of production, knowledge of food industry equipment, processes, and systems.
- Able to analyze, model, design, and install technologies for food and catering products, organize, execute and manage production processes and assure product safety and quality;
- Able to follow and analyze innovations in food science and technologies, apply the latest knowledge and design skills in the development and implementation of food technologies projects for the improvement of nutritional value, quality, and safety of products;
- Able to plan, perform and analyze the research of food and catering products’ composition, quality, and safety, use modern technological, analytical, and software equipment;
- Able to apply principles of good laboratory practice, work effectively both individually and in the team, present results of the work orally and in writing, and understand the impact of technological and engineering solutions on the public and environment.
The graduates find jobs easily in food business companies
The food industry is one of the most important and largest economic sectors in Lithuania. The employers value the graduates of this program due to their knowledge of food technologies, food engineering, food chemistry, and microbiology, as well as practical skills. The majority of potential employers are graduates of this program themselves.
You may become
Specialist-technologist of the food industry
- Organization and control of technological production processes;
- Preparation of technological documents, understanding of processing standards, technical specifications in accordance with professional integrity and standards of ethics;
- Quality assurance and control of the manufactured products.
- Performance of chemical research works, development or improvement of concepts, measures, theories, and methods;
- Performance of experimental works, tests, and analysis;
- Participation in interdisciplinary scientific research and development projects in cooperation with specialists of various areas.
Dietician and nutrition specialist
- Implementation of preventive programs and strategies related to food safety, quality of water, polluted and dangerous substances;
- Planning of nutrition and menus, supervision of preparation and serving of food, monitoring of the amount and quality of the food eaten;
- Performance of research works of nutrition, dissemination of their results in scientific conferences and other events.
Food safety and quality manager
- Knowledge of quality standards and processes, assurance of labeling and other requirements;
- Assessment of quality indicators in the specific company’s performance, preparation of recommendations;
- Control of compliance with sanitation-hygiene standards.
- Development and improvement of quality indicators in the specific company’s performance;
- Management of quality improvement activities and processes;
- Introduction and maintenance of quality assurance standards and processes.
The chemist of the food industry
- Control of raw materials, materials used in production, technological process, and quality of finished products;
- Establishment of control standards and procedures for insurance of safety of employees and chemical production operations;
- Processing of laboratory documents in accordance with the regulations on document preparation and storage.
Product creation and development manager
- Creation of new products, their development, and introduction in production;
- Coordination of the process of product creation with production and commercial divisions;
- Search for innovations and their testing.