BEng (Hons) in Architectural Engineering
Heriot-Watt University Dubai
Academic City, United Arab Emirates
AED 65,100 / per year **
Request info *
Earliest start date
* rolling admission
** all tuition fees inclusive of VAT
The programme is for those who wish to understand the energy, CO2 and functional performance-related engineering strategies and systems used in buildings to ensure high performance, and also how these relate to basic aspects of architectural design such as spatial design and human response to the physical features of the built environment. Fundamental and integral to the programme is a grounding in mathematics and building science as well as an understanding of the management and professional practices that form the knowledge base and skills of the modern architectural engineering professional.
Why study Architectural Engineering at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- The first and only programme in the Gulf region to offer a UK Architectural Engineering degree that combines the best of both worlds (engineering and architecture).
- The programme gives you both engineering skills and an understanding of architecture so that you are able to help transform architectural drawings into reality.
- Our programme is designed to help shape the built environment for the 21st century, in terms of providing a sustainable, energy-efficient, low carbon and green society.
- Throughout the courses of study, you are provided with the opportunity to develop an awareness of the fundamental interaction between environmental, technological, design and human factors.
The programme is structured around three main themes:
- Energy and sustainability of buildings
- Systems and whole building design
- Human behaviour and interaction with buildings.
With a focus on designing the buildings and cities for the future:
- Buildings that use less energy
- Climate change
- Renewable energy
Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Building Design
Our Architectural Engineering programme is delivered by the Royal Academy of Engineering Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Building Design. This is one of four such Centres established at UK universities that jointly form a national network to demonstrate and exchange best practice in teaching and research for the sustainable built environment.
- Construction Technology 1
- Mechanics A
- Introduction to Design
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 1
- Building Services Technology
- Mechanics B
- Introduction to the Environment
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 2
- Design Project
- Acoustics and Architectural Design
- Construction Technology 2
- Hydraulics and Hydrology
- Environment and Behaviour
- Statistics for Science
- History and Theories of Architecture
- Critical Architectural Studies
- Electrical and Lighting Services for Buildings
- Design Software Applications
- Laboratory Project
- Energy and Buildings
- Thermal Performance Studies
- Design Issues
- Environmental Engineering
A major feature of the Fourth Year starts with a collaborative design project across all built environment disciplines. Students produce a building design to address a specific client brief and giving information on building form, design, services, sustainability, cost and planning. This is a highlight of Year 4 progressing into individual project work which is specific to the AE discipline. Students will also complete an individual research dissertation on a topic of their choice.
- Design Project (S1)
- Dissertation (S1)
- Procurement and Contracts
- Design Project (S2)
- Dissertation (S2)
- Sustainable and Intelligent Buildings
- Innovation in Construction Practice
Throughout the courses of study, you are provided with the opportunity to develop an awareness of the fundamental interaction between environmental, technological, design and human factors.
Graduates from the Architectural Engineering programme can expect to find jobs in:
- Sustainability Engineering Companies
- Building Design Consultancies
- Multinational architectural / construction companies
- Building services and engineering companies
- Government organisations
Some of our current graduates work with Emirates Green Building Council, Johnson Controls, Buro Happold, WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff Engineering Services.