Bachelor of Behavioral Studies in English Education Hardin-Simmons University
Students seeking teacher certification in English Language Arts and Reading (grades 4-8) or English Language Arts and Reading grades (7-12) will participate in a program that incorporates state and national standards for the field. The degrees in the area focus on critical thinking, writing, and the ability to communicate using the written and spoken word. During the program, students will be introduced to specific writers and styles of written expression. Students will be prepared to recognize, analyze, and evaluate the various types of literature, build reading and other language skills, develop independent thinking and research, and develop an understanding of aesthetic and cultural dimensions in the human experience.
The State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) and Texas Education Agency (TEA) Office of Accountability has awarded Hardin-Simmons University Teacher Education Program a rating of “Accredited” under the Accountability System for Educator Preparation authorized by Texas Education Code 21.045 every year since the rating of teacher preparation entities has been awarded. Educator preparation programs are held accountable for the performance of their graduates on the state credentialing examinations required for certification. Programs must achieve a minimum pass rate on the tests by disaggregated subgroups (All, Male, Female, White, Hispanic, African American, Other) to receive a rating of “Accredited.”
BSHS English Language Arts and Reading Core Requirements
These courses are required to be fulfilled in the Core Curriculum.
- Technology in Education
Major and Education Requirements
Major: English Language Arts/Reading
- The required GPA for a major is 2.8.
- Issues in Grammar
- Upper-level literature course (x2)
- Beginning Literacy Development
- Read Instru for Adolesc Stu
- Child and Adolescent Literature
- Organ & Materials for Reading
- Reading Practicum
- Intro to the Adv/Gifted Learn
- Public School Art, Elementary
- Interpersonal Communication
- Small-Group Communication
- Foundations of Learning and Development
- The Learning Environment
- Current Issues in Spec Ed
- Organization and Management for Teaching, In the Middle Grades and Secondary, Classroom
- Capstone: the Professional Teacher
- Student Teaching in the Middle School
Students who complete this degree will be eligible to take the Texas certification tests for one of the following certifications: English 4-8, English 7-12, or English Language Arts Reading Social Studies 4-8. These certifications lead to English teaching positions in 4th Grade thru 12th Grade.