Bachelor of Science in Biology: Molecular and Biochemistry Graceland University
Biology is a Gateway to So Many Fields
Biology: Molecular & Biochemistry is one of two Biology tracks. This track often leads students to careers in the health sciences (medicine, dentistry, physician assistant, physical therapy), microbiology, and immunology.
Our comprehensive active-learning approach prepares students to pursue a variety of postgraduate studies. Some students enter careers immediately after graduation as teachers, laboratory technicians, and pharmaceutical sales representatives. Others go on to post-graduate studies in medical, dental, physician assistant, physical therapy, and pharmacy.
- Students design, conduct and present their own original research in collaboration with a faculty mentor.
- Students learn laboratory techniques and have hands-on experience operating sophisticated laboratory equipment.
- Students learn in a variety of classroom styles in order to promote an active learning experience.
- The biology faculty are experts in their field. All have earned the highest degree possible.
Molecular and Biochemistry is one of two concentrations available under the Biology major. In order to complete this program, you must complete both the core requirements for a Biology major and the Molecular and Biochemistry concentration requirements. A second concentration in general biology is also available.
In addition to the general education requirements, students majoring in Biology must complete at least one concentration with semester hours in Biology and related sciences (54 semester hours for the Molecular and Biochemistry Concentration).
Core Courses (required for both concentrations) – 20
- BIOL1500 Biology I with Lab – 4
- BIOL1520 Biology II with Lab – 4
- BIOL2100 Cell Biology and Genetics with Lab – 4
- BIOL/CHEM4111 Capstone Research I – 1
- BIOL/CHEM4120 Capstone Research II – 1-2
- BIOL/CHEM4130 Capstone Research III – 1-2
- CHEM1410 General Chemistry I Workshop with Lab – 4
- CHEM1420 General Chemistry II Workshop with Lab – 4
- CHEM1450 Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry – 1
- MATH1370 Statistics for Sciences – 3
Following MATH course:
- MATH1510 Calculus I – 4
Molecular and Biochemistry Track 34
- BIOL2360 Microbiology with Lab – 4
- BIOL3310 Molecular Genetics with Lab – 4
- BIOL/CHEM4310 Biochemistry with Lab – 4
- BIOL4400 Immunology – 3
- BIOL4460 Cell and Cancer Biology – 3
- CHEM3410 Organic Chemistry I – 3 and CHEM3411 Organic Chemistry I Lab – 1
- CHEM3420 Organic Chemistry II – 3 and CHEM3421 Organic Chemistry II Lab – 1
- PHYS1410 Elements of Physics I with Lab – 4
- PHYS1420 Elements of Physics II with Lab – 4
A biology major from Graceland University can help to prepare you for a career as a:
- High school or middle school teacher
- Physician assistant
- Research scientist
- and many other exciting fields.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.