Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy
USD 17,975 / per semester
Earliest start date
Think Creatively, Critically, and Analytically with a Philosophy Degree from Gannon University
Philosophy has been referred to as the “most practical major” by The Atlantic magazine and the “ultimate transferable work skill” by The Times of London. Leaders in law, business, media, and the tech world — from LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman to Flickr founder Stewart Butterfield — say that studying philosophy was the secret to their success as digital entrepreneurs. Make your own impactful contribution to society when you learn to identify and solve problems through deep thinking and analysis.
- Faculty have published books and scholarly articles and contribute their knowledge to students’ success.
- Graduates have continued their education at the University of Notre Dame, Rome’s Pontifical North American College, and Duquesne University.
- Faculty are affiliated with the American Philosophical Association, International Berkeley Society, American Maritain Association, and more.
Inspire Your Academic Success
Gain real-world knowledge through key courses including:
- Philosophy of Mind and Emerging Artificial Intelligence: Learn key theories related to the brain, body, self, and emerging Artificial Intelligence; explore concepts including consciousness, self-awareness, and the meaning of creating sentient robots.
- Comparative World Philosophy: Survey some of the greatest contributions to major questions that concern issues such as the good life, the self, theories of knowledge, and more.
- Environmental Ethics: Gain an understanding of ethical approaches to conservation and preservation.
- Health Care Ethics: Learn about introductory key ethical values and frameworks as the bases for application to moral concerns and decisions made in health care.
Learn to Lead the Way in Philosophy
- Gain the foundational skills and knowledge needed to excel on the Graduate Record Exam or the Law School Admission Test. Philosophy majors tend to perform exceptionally well on these tests.
- Develop highly valued analytical thinking skills that are applicable to any endeavor or discipline, learn creative problem-solving techniques, enhance your communication skills, and more.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to undertake a thorough investigation of key problem areas of philosophy, appreciating diverse philosophical systems.
- Students will employ the tools of formal and informal logic to evaluate and respond to arguments.
- Students will be able to read philosophical texts with comprehension.
- Students will employ moral reasoning applied to research, communication, and social engagement.
Achieve Your Possibilities
The philosophy department encourages all students to complete internships, earn college credits and gain practical experience with:
- Social and community services
- Government offices
- Law firms and corporations
- Nonprofit organizations like Pax Christi USA
- Religious organizations, local ministries
- In addition, students have the opportunity to complement their degree with a minor in philosophy or healthcare ethics.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.