BA in Sports Journalism
Birmingham City University
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 - 4 years
GBP 9,250 / per year *
Earliest start date
* UK students: £9,250 per year | international students: £13,980 per year
Explore scholarship opportunities to help fund your studies
Get practical preparation for a career in sports journalism with our BA (Hons) Sports Journalism degree course. You’ll get the chance to develop the skills to cover a range of sports stories for print, digital, TV and radio, including covering live matches and competitions, interviewing key figures and running collaborative liveblogs. You’ll also explore the global impact of sports journalism on audiences. Students will be armed with mobile reporting kits to work as real reporters from day one.
We pride ourselves on teaching creative, contemporary journalism underpinned by traditional values and skills. That means learning the core media and communication skills that every working reporter needs before you specialise in an area that interests you.
You’ll be challenged academically – often by some of the industry’s leading names – and you’ll be expected to undertake meaningful work experience placements in media environments, and work on live stories, learning how to craft a story in a way that engages the audience.
By the time you graduate, you’ll be a thinking journalist with a specialism in sports. You’ll also be adaptable to the changes that the industry faces. Birmingham City University's journalism graduates have gone on to work for Sky, BBC, Trinity Mirror and the Express & Star. Others have scooped prestigious awards at the Midlands Media Awards while still studying.
What's covered in this course?
BA (Hons) Sports Journalism is delivered by industry experts from broadcast, print and digital and provides a strong foundation for a future professional career with a range of sports outlets. You’ll be able to use your own mobile reporting kit when you arrive, allowing you to work as a real reporter from day one.
Our Live Newsroom modules will get you to the heart of the action, covering a range of stories, and preparing coverage for our award-winning Birmingham Eastside website and other partner outlets. You’ll get the chance to apply practical mobile reporting skills in a real-world environment for platforms including TV, radio, print and digital. Our strong links with key journalism organisations mean you’ll also get the chance to work on live projects throughout the course.
Teaching is delivered in industry-standard facilities, as well as on location at matches and events thanks to our focus on mobile reporting. Our newsroom media hub also allows for collaborative work as part of the wider University journalism community.
By tackling real stories, you will quickly develop a sense of the impact they can have. There will be a chance to undertake placements as well as embed yourself within communities and sports organisations to tackle key issues in real depth.
The focus on innovation and entrepreneurship will encourage you to think critically about the journalism landscape. This will allow you to be one step ahead of the game and spot the next big move in the world of sports journalism.
Professional placement year
This course offers a professional placement year. This allows you to spend a whole year with an employer, between the second and third years of your degree and is a great way to find out more about your chosen career. Some students even return to the same employers after completing their studies.
The University will draw on its extensive network of local, regional and national employers to support you in finding a suitable placement to complement your chosen area of study. If you do not find a suitable placement, you will be automatically transferred back to the standard, non-placement version of the course.
Please note that fees are payable during your placement year, equivalent to 20% of the total full-time course fee for that year (£1,850 for UK students).
Why choose us?
- Our unique partnership with HuffPost UK will give you the chance to receive tutorials and masterclasses from the HuffPost UK team, as well as opportunities for placements and visits to their bureaus.
- Industry-standard equipment in our £62 million home in the city centre, including six radio studios, four TV studios, edit suites, music production studios, a newsroom media hub, and photography studios.
- You’ll receive a mobile journalism kit on arrival, allowing you to learn cutting-edge skills across multiple platforms and experience the thrill of live reporting from day one.
- Teaching by active journalists who are industry-leading specialists in their field, including data journalist and author Paul Bradshaw and hyperlocal reporting award-winner Ross Hawkes.
- A range of guest speaker masterclasses from across the sports journalism industry. Previous sessions have been delivered by editors and reporters from the likes of the BBC, Trinity Mirror, Twitter and Google.
- The chance to see your work published on the award-winning Birmingham Eastside platform and partner outlets.