BSc (Hons) in Computer Science - Digital Forensics Specialization
Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
USD 22,615 *
Earliest start date
* total for Malaysian students: RM 87,000 | total for international students: RM 88,200/USD 22,615
APU-DMU dual degree program
Students who are under Bachelor’s Degree program will have the option to opt-in for the APU-DMU Dual Degree Scheme. Under this Scheme, students will receive 2 Degree Certificates & Transcripts upon graduation: 1 from Asia Pacific University (APU), Malaysia, and 1 from De Montfort University (DMU), UK.
More than just a computer science degree
APU's BSc (Hons) In Computer Science with a specialism in Digital Forensics degree is designed to provide you an edge with the latest technologies that are in line with the Industrial Revolution 4.0.
This program is specifically designed to provide students with:
- The ability to develop technical knowledge, skills, and background in the design and organization of computer systems with an emphasis on digital forensics.
- The ability to critically evaluate design paradigms, languages, algorithms, and techniques used to perform advanced digital forensics investigation and incident response.
- The ability to evaluate and respond to opportunities for developing and exploiting new technologies with digital forensics methods and tools.
Degree level 1
Students will learn fundamental skills required by every IT professional, and the basic understanding of programming, mathematical and algorithmic skills. A sound grasp of mathematical techniques and skills in algorithmic thinking are important prerequisites for their second and third-year studies in this area. Computer architecture, operating systems, networks, databases, security, and forensic technologies are the underlying platform of a digital forensics investigation. Introduction to management introduces the third key area, understanding personal and organizational development, along with independent learning and team working skills.
- Digital Thinking and Innovation
- Intercultural Awareness and Cultural Diversity
- Mathematical Concepts for Computing
- Operating Systems & Computer Architecture
- Python Programming
- System Analysis & Design
- Introduction to Networking
- Introduction to Databases
- Introduction to C Programming
- Introduction to Security and Forensic Technologies
Degree level 2
A broader range of skills will be learned, in which students will be involved in designing and implementing software, devising new ways to use computers, and developing effective ways to solve computing problems. It spans a wide range, from theoretical and algorithmic foundations to cutting-edge developments in all areas of computing. Successful professionals with a degree in computer science are flexible in performing a range of computing tasks, and extend theories and practice in every area of computing. In the second year, the core modules take development skills to the next level and deepen the understanding of platform technology, while specialized modules will allow them to go further into advanced forensic methods, ethical hacking, and incident response.
- Programming for Data Analysis
- Creativity & Innovation
- System Development Methods
- Object-Oriented Development with Java
- Data Structures
- Research Methods For Computing & Technology
- System & Network Administration
- Computing Theory
- Computer Systems & Low-Level Techniques
- Advanced Forensic Methods
- Ethical Hacking & Incident Response
- Practical CTF Strategies
Internship (16 weeks)
Students will undertake an Internship/Industrial Training for a minimum period of 16 weeks to prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the working environment.
Degree level 3
Students will make use of their previous studies and industrial experience to extend their familiarity in the field of computer science and to refine their personal and professional development. Students will move further into the focus on advanced programming techniques and algorithms, and evaluating applications at the frontiers of current technology. Specialized modules allow them to extend the capabilities developed from previous studies of forensics methods and incident response specifically in the area of advanced cybersecurity, penetration testing, mobile forensics, deep learning for intrusion detection as well as legal and professional practice in the cyber world. A final year project requires them to investigate and develop a solution for a real-world problem – they will demonstrate their ability to combine technical knowledge, critical thinking, and analytical skills to produce a personal achievement portfolio.
- Project Management
- Innovation Management & New Product Development
- Emergent Technology
- Advanced Cyber Security
- Penetration Testing
- Mobile Forensics
- Deep Learning for Intrusion Detection
- Legal & Professional Practice in Cyber World
- Investigations in Digital Forensics
- Project in Digital Forensics
MQA compulsory subjects*
- Ethnic Relations (M’sian Students)
- Islamic & Asian Civilisation (M’sian Students)
- Malaysian Studies (Int’l Students)
- Malay Communication Language (Int’l Students)
- Workplace Professional Communication Skills
- Employee & Employment Trends
(*All students are required to successfully complete these modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency.)
Note: The specialism will appear only in the academic transcript.
Program Tuition Fee
- Digital Forensics Investigator
- Forensic Compliance Investigator
- Computer Forensics Analyst
- Cyber Defense Forensics Analyst
- Cyber Defense Incident Response Analyst
- Ethical Hacker / Penetration Tester
- Intrusion Detection Analyst
- Forensic Analytics Specialist
- Secure Applications Engineer
- Information Security Analyst / Engineer
- Information Security Technical Specialist
- Software Developer
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)