BSc (Hons) in Computer Science - Data Analytics Specialization Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU)
APU-DMU dual degree program
Students who are under Bachelor’s Degree Program will have the option to opt-in for the APU-DMU Dual Degree Scheme. Under this Scheme, students will receive 2 Degree Certificates & Transcripts upon graduation: 1 from Asia Pacific University (APU), Malaysia, and 1 from De Montfort University (DMU), UK.
More than just a computer science degree
APU's BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with a specialism in Data Analytics degree is designed to provide you an edge with the latest technologies that are in line with the Industrial Revolution 4.0.
This program is specifically designed to provide students with:
- The ability to develop technical knowledge, skills, and background in the design and organization of computer systems with an emphasis on data analytics.
- The ability to critically evaluate design paradigms, languages, algorithms, and techniques used to develop complex software systems.
- The ability to evaluate and respond to opportunities for developing and exploiting new technologies with data analytics concepts and tools.
Degree level 1
Students will learn fundamental skills required by every IT professional, and the basic understanding of programming, mathematical and algorithmic skills. Some specialized modules will provide the basic knowledge of underlying computer systems such as computer architecture, operating systems, networking, and databases. The modules will also help them develop personal and organizational skills, as well as nurture creativity and innovation.
- Digital Thinking and Innovation
- Intercultural Awareness and Cultural Diversity
- System Analysis & Design
- Python Programming
- Mathematical Concepts for Computing
- Operating Systems & Computer Architecture
- Introduction to Networking
- Introduction to Databases
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
- Introduction to C Programming
Degree level 2
A broader range of skills will be learned, in which students will gain a better understanding of designing and implementing new software, and solving new computing problems through theoretical and algorithmic foundations. They will gain a solid understanding of platform technology and data analytics through modules in application development and knowledge discovery techniques. We will further nurture their creativity and innovation as well as independent learning to prepare them for the workplace.
- Object-Oriented Development with Java
- System Development Methods
- Programming for Data Analysis
- Creativity & Innovation
- Research Methods for Computing and Technology
- Computing Theory
- Data Structures
- Concurrent Programming
- Data Management
- Business Intelligence Systems
- Data Mining and Predictive Modelling
- Probability & Statistical Modelling
Internship (16 weeks)
Students will undertake an Internship/Industrial Training for a minimum period of 16 weeks to prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the working environment.
Degree level 3
Students will make use of their previous studies and industrial experience to extend their familiarity in the field of computer science and to refine their personal and professional development. Students will move further into the focus on advanced analytics through business analytics and intelligence modules. A final year project requires them to investigate and develop a solution for a real-world problem – they will demonstrate their ability to combine technical knowledge, critical thinking, and analytical skills to produce a personal achievement portfolio.
- Innovation Management & New Product Development
- Project Management
- Real-Time Systems
- Behavioral Science and Marketing Analytics
- Text Analytics and Sentiment Analysis
- Emergent Technology
- Optimization and Deep Learning
- Database Security
- Investigations in Data Analytics
- Data Analytics Project
MQA compulsory subjects*
- Ethnic Relations (M’sian Students)
- Islamic & Asian Civilisation (M’sian Students)
- Malaysian Studies (Int’l Students)
- Malay Communication Language (Int’l Students)
- Workplace Professional Communication Skills
- Employee & Employment Trends
(*All students are required to successfully complete these modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency.)
Note: The specialism will appear only in the academic transcript.
Program Tuition Fee
- Software Tool Developer
- Data Analyst
- Data Scientist
- Data Wrangler/Munger/Miner
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Data Analytics Manager
- Business Process Engineer
- Business Analyst Manager
- Data Innovation Manager
- Business Intelligence Developer
- IT Risk Analyst
- Advanced Analytics Professional
- Data Engineer
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Machine Learning Scientist
- Business Intelligence Solutions Architect
- Analytics Manager
- Data Visualisation Developer
AS - APU joint Certificate in Computer Science and Data Analytics
APU and SAS have signed an MoA in partnership to develop Data Scientists in Malaysia. SAS also has endorsed the UG and PG level programs in Data Analytics by providing tools and educational material support for learning and research purposes. All UG and PG Data Analytics graduates will receive a Joint Professional Certificate from SAS.
In addition, students will be awarded an e-Badge, to feature this achievement on their CV and LinkedIn profiles.
Why study BSc in Computer Science with a specialism in Data Analytics?
Graduates will be equipped with knowledge, skills, and experience in three major dimensions: Strategic and Commercial application, “hands-on” ICT skills, and Statistics & Analytics. The program is not merely analytics-oriented but develops the ability to use analytics to drive key success metrics related to yield management and revenue generation in practically any business domain. There is a tremendous requirement for Data Scientists and Big Data Specialists worldwide now and in the future, with hundreds of thousands of new job opportunities emerging globally. In Malaysia alone, by the year 2020, this need is expected to reach at least 15,000 professionals.
Data Science @ APU - Fortified through partnerships
The program has been carefully designed by APU with inputs and content from our partners, comprising major technology and software solutions providers, university partners as well as industry organizations who use analytics for strategic and competitive advantage.
The strength of these partnerships ensures that the program comprehensively addresses all key stakeholders – Technology providers, Employers, Government as well as Students – in its learning outcomes, curriculum content, delivery, and assessment. Students also obtain certification jointly issued with industry partners, which would certainly give them a head start in the exciting world of Big Data.
Furthermore, APU is also poised to become a frontrunner in analytics research through the establishment of the Asia Pacific Centre of Analytics (APCA), through which research activities will be undertaken to challenge boundaries in the application of analytics.
Graduates from this program will not only gain an academic qualification from APU but would also automatically attain a Globally Recognised Professional Industry Certification from SAS. Along the way, graduates would also gain exposure to industrial workshops led by experts from the industry, providing a valuable gateway into future careers.