Bachelor of Engineering in Mechatronic Engineering with Honours
Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
USD 30,230 *
Earliest start date
* total for Malaysian students: RM 102,000 | total for international students: RM 117,900/USD 30,230
APU-DMU dual degree program
Students who are under Bachelor’s Degree program will have the option to opt-in for the APU-DMU Dual Degree Scheme. Under this Scheme, students will receive 2 Degree Certificates & Transcripts upon graduation: 1 from Asia Pacific University (APU), Malaysia, and 1 from De Montfort University (DMU), UK.
DMU Degree Certificate will be an MEng Award for Engineering programs.
More than just a mechatronic engineering degree
APU's Bachelor of Engineering in Mechatronic Engineering with Honours degree is designed to provide you an edge with the latest technologies that are in line with the Industrial Revolution 4.0.
International recognition - Engineering degrees accredited under the Washington Accord
APU Engineering Degrees are fully accredited by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) which is a signatory to the Washington Accord.
This accreditation ensures that APU Engineering Graduates will have the following benefits in countries that are signatories of the Washington Accord:
- Opportunities to register as a Graduate Engineer with the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) or the relevant professional bodies in other countries who are signatories under the Washington Accord.
- Pathways to becoming a Professional or Chartered Engineer.
- Assurance that graduates are considered as having met international academic standards for engineering practice.
This program is specifically designed to provide students with:
- High-quality undergraduate engineering education by providing students with a curriculum that is firmly grounded in Mechatronic engineering fundamentals.
- A study of basic engineering sciences and fundamentals of mechanical, electrical, electronics, and computer engineering. Students will be able to integrate these four disciplines.
- The technical skills to design, analyze and test “intelligent” products or processes that incorporate suitable controller, sensor, and mechatronic devices for robotics and automation.
Degree year 1
Students will understand the basic principles of engineering in the areas of Circuit Analysis, Engineering Materials, Instrumentation & Measurement, and Engineering Design. Other modules aim to provide the basic academic skills required to meet the demands of employers, as well as a thorough grounding in the principles of IT and entrepreneurship. Important and relevant skills for managing activities and for their own independent learning are also introduced.
- Analysis of Circuits
- Instrumentation & Measurement
- Fundamentals of Entrepreneurship
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Introduction to C Programming
- Programming with Python
- Engineering Materials
- Engineering Design
- Engineering Statics & Dynamics
Degree year 2
Here, students start specializing in modules that develop the necessary underlying knowledge and skills in Mechatronic Engineering with modules such as Analogue Electronics, Digital Electronics, Introduction to Electrical Systems, Electromagnetic Field Theory, Engineering Software & Applications, Signals and Linear Systems, Strength of Materials, Robotics Technology and Sensor & Actuators. Engineering Mathematics is provided for a better understanding of the engineering modules.
- Analogue Electronics
- Digital Electronics
- Introduction to Electrical Systems
- Engineering Mathematics 3
- Electromagnetic Field Theory
- Engineering Software & Applications
- Signals and Linear Systems
- Strength of Material
- Robotics Technology
- Sensors & Actuators
Degree year 3
Specialized knowledge and skills in the areas of Control Engineering, Communication Engineering Principles, Numerical Methods & Statistics, Microprocessor Systems & Embedded Software, Machine Design, Fluid Mechanics, Industrial Automation, and Machine Vision & Intelligence are the critical focus of this level. This is a further development of the ability to apply relevant engineering skills with strong critical thinking and analysis. Independent learning continues in all modules.
- Control Engineering
- Communication Engineering Principles
- Numerical Methods & Statistics
- Microprocessor Systems & Embedded Software
- Engineering Project Management
- Machine Design
- Fluid Mechanics
- Industrial Automation
- Machine Vision & Intelligence
Elective modules (choose 1)
- Digital Signal Processing
- Power Electronics & Drives
Internship (16 weeks)
Students will undertake an Internship/Industrial Training for a minimum period of 16 weeks to prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the working environment.
Degree year 4
The final year Engineering modules provide the necessary industry application and technological skills which become very useful for employment upon graduation. Students’ personal and professional development, technical capability, and understanding of how to innovate, generate and manage the creation of new ideas will be enhanced. Students will deliver several Engineering Projects where they will demonstrate higher-level critical thinking, analysis, and solutions development skills which will enhance their employability.
- Project Phase 1 (Investigation)
- Project Phase 2 (Implementation)
- Group Design Project
- Engineer in Society
- Analogue Integrated Circuits & Systems
- CAD/ CAM
- Thermodynamics & Heat Transfer
- Product Creation Technology
Elective modules (choose 1)
- Cloud Infrastructure & Services
- Internet of Things: Concepts & Applications
MQA compulsory subjects*
- Ethnic Relations (M’sian Students)
- Islamic & Asian Civilisation (M’sian Students)
- Malaysian Studies (Int’l Students)
- Malay Communication Language (Int’l Students)
- Workplace Professional Communication Skills
- Employee & Employment Trends
(*All students are required to successfully complete these modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency.)
Program educational objectives
Graduates of APU Bachelor of Engineering in their respective programs are expected within five years of graduation to attain the following program educational objectives:
- Be a practicing engineer contributing to the development of Mechatronic Engineering while demonstrating professionalism.
- Pursue engineering innovation via career advancement opportunities and/or advanced studies in Mechatronic Engineering.
Mechatronic Engineering is concerned with the creation, design, and building of intelligent machines. This new breed of engineer has to master skills in mechanical, electronic, and computer engineering and work in a hybrid manner, meeting an ever-increasing need in an industry where the complexity of projects is rising and resources are limited. The main areas of activity are:
- Fundamental design and build - ways of embedding intelligence and interfacing to the real world
- Process control - plant condition monitoring and control
- Advanced robotics and intelligent Machines
- Image Processing and collision avoidance
- Industrial systems such as CIM system, CAD/CAM system
- Design and develop a Mechatronics system
Program learning outcomes
The students, upon completion of their study, should attain the following outcomes:
Ability to gain and apply principles of Mathematics, Science, and Engineering to the solutions of complex engineering problems.
Ability to undertake complex engineering problem analysis and apply engineering principles to solve them.
Ability to design innovative solutions for complex engineering problems.
Ability to investigate complex engineering problems using research techniques.
Ability to select and use suitable tools and techniques for complex engineering problems.
Ability to engage in professional engineering practice for safety, health, social, cultural, and legal responsibilities in developing solutions for complex engineering problems.
Ability to comprehend and demonstrate good practices of engineering in sustainable development and environmental considerations for the solutions of complex engineering problems.
Ability to execute the responsibilities of an Engineer professionally and ethically.
Ability to function effectively as a team leader or a member of a team within multi-disciplinary settings.
Ability to communicate effectively and professionally on complex engineering activities.
Ability to demonstrate entrepreneurship skills, engineering project management, and economic decision-making in multidisciplinary environments.
Ability to recognize the need for, and be able to engage in independent and life-long learning towards continuous professional development.
Program Tuition Fee
The Mechatronic Engineering course provides the technical and creative know-how needed to achieve the best possible engineering career path. Graduates are also sought after for management positions because of their broad skill-base and knowledge of state-of-the-art technology. Careers span the range of fields that are normally covered by mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering. Roles include designing consumer machines, industrial machines, robotics and automation for advanced manufacturing, robot control systems or aviation electronics, software, and hardware development for real-time computer control systems among others.
- Automation Engineer
- Mechatronic Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Service Engineer
- QA/QC Engineer
- Sales Engineer
- Support Engineer
- R&D Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- IoT Engineer
- Robotics Engineer
- Plant Engineer
- Design Engineer