Bachelor in Translation Al Buraimi University College
The translation program helps students to master the intellectual and scientific aspects of translation. It prepares students to become professional translators and interpreters. The program aims at fulfilling the following learning objectives:
- Demonstrate good control of the four basic language skills for acquiring and exchanging information.
- Acquire knowledge of concepts, current issues, and research methods in Linguistics and Translation.
- Translate different types of texts from English into Arabic and vice versa.
- Apply knowledge and principles of translation in order to be professional translators and interpreters in collaboration with the community.
- Use knowledge of the various linguistic systems to perform efficiently oral and written communicative acts within social contexts.
- Perform translation and interpretation using the latest technology.
- Demonstrate awareness and knowledge of language’s role in promoting social and cross-cultural understanding.
- Academic Degree Awarded (upon graduation): Bachelor Degree in Translation
- Awarding Body: Al Buraimi University College (in affiliation with California State University, Northridge, USA)
- Credit Hours: 123 credit hours
- Program Length: 4 Years (8 Semesters)
What does the program contain?
The program mainly aims to satisfy and meet the need of the Omani society and the work market for professional translators and interpreters. To meet such aims, the program focuses on major theoretical and practical components including:
- Studying the theory and practice of professional area-topics such as media translation, legal translation, medical translation, financial translation, literary translation, conference, and executive translation.
- 2In the process of studying translation topic areas, students learn vital skills such as editing, revising, and proof-reading.
- The socio-cultural aspects and issues of the translation profession are dealt with through the study and investigation of topics such as cultural transposition, social and discourse communities, bilingual translation skills, and issues.
- Proficient and appropriate production of translated and interpreted texts is dealt with through studying and practicing language-oriented topics such as language meanings, word structure, sentence structure, text structure, and organization.
- The ability to cope with and knowledge of new technologies in translation practice is included in acquiring technology-related skills. Topic areas such as Computer-Assisted translation, note-taking aids, electronic communication skills, and other audio-visual aspects and issues.
- Training field placements as interns at hospitals, courts, police, courts, banks, and national and international non-governmental organizations.
- Production of genuine translated work is the main pre-requisite for graduation. Genuine and original translated work is included in the closely supervised translation project course component. Produced works include literary, legal, medical, media, and other text types such as film and documentary subtitling and hard-of-hearing voice and text recognition work.
Where does the qualification lead to?
Our program prepares graduates with the skills that allow them to acquire successful jobs and career opportunities such as:
- Professional translators and interpreters working in government civil service departments and institutions such as hospitals, law courts, army, police, customs, and other settings.
- Professional translators and interpreters working in the private business sector such as financial firms, banks, hotels, travel, and tourist agencies, hotels, printing presses, and many other trades and industry companies.
- Self-employed freelance translators and interpreters with their own translation agencies.
- Post-graduate candidates at a number of highly recognized educational institutions around the globe (e.g., Malaysia, UK, Sudan, Egypt, UAE, and Pakistan) besides Omani top academic institutions (e.g., Sultan Qaboos University).