Keystone logo

Study Bachelor in Sweden 2024

Study in Sweden

Sweden is located in Northern Europe and is bordered by Finland, Norway and the Baltic and North Seas. From technology to politics to commerce, the Scandinavian country, known for its innovation and technology, is heralded for its many significant global contributions, ranging from the Nobel Prize to Ikea. Major Swedish industries include timber, iron ore, telecommunications, automobiles, and pharmaceuticals. Sweden is well-known for literature, films, fashion, and a universal health care system. It’s no surprise, therefore, that Sweden also shines in the area of higher education. Throw in the fact that English is widely spoken -- and is in fact an accepted mode of university teaching, as well as the official working language of a number of Swedish corporations -- and Sweden becomes a veritable hub of international study for students from around the globe.

The Swedish Legal System

Sweden’s laws are created by the country’s Parliament and upheld by a number of government agencies responsible for everything from law enforcement to correctional services. The country has both penal and civil law, as well as a comprehensive administrative law system.

Change currency

Basic monthly living cost

  • Rent in a shared flat

  • Share of utilities

  • Internet subscription

  • Local transportation


Sample lifestyle cost

  • Fast food combo

  • Cinema ticket

  • Pint of local beer


About Sweden

Higher Education in Sweden

Sweden is a world leader in higher education,

with three schools in the top 100 worldwide in 2010, as ranked by the Academic Ranking of World Universities.There are three levels of higher education programs – Bachelor, Master, and PhD or research.The Swedish government funds about 80 percent of the cost of higher education.

Why Study in Sweden?

About 600 masters programs are taught in English and around 30, 000 international students currently study in Sweden.

Swedish universities encourage creativity, personal initiative and independent thinking.The academic environment is relaxed,

with informal relationships between students and instructors.Students often work in small groups and spend less time

with instructors.In addition, many masters degree programs partner

with industry to provide real -world experiences that augment academic studies.


Sweden has 14 public universities and 20 public university colleges, as well as several independent institutions such as the Stockholm School of Economics.There are many specialized schools, such as the Royal Institute of Arts and the Royal Institute of Technology.

Tuition and Program Duration

Swedish, Swiss, EU/EEA and exchange students pay no tuition.In 2011, universities began charging tuition to students

from other countries.Each institution sets its own tuition, about SEK 80, 000 to 140, 000 per year.Masters degrees in the arts can be much higher.

The Swedish government has instituted two scholarship programs for students who need financial assistance.One program is for students

from developing countries and covers both tuition and living expenses.The other program is for other non-EU/EEA students and covers only tuition.

One year of full time study is equivalent to 60 credit hours compatible

with the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).There are two options for a masters degree:

1. The “Masterexamen, ” which requires 2 years and 120 ECTS;

the degree can only be awarded by research universities and institutions.
2. The “Magisterexamen,” which requires only 1-year and 60 ECTS;

the degree can be awarded by all higher education institutes.

Program length depends upon the academic discipline and the institution offering the degree.

Academic Year

The academic year consists of two semesters, each about 20 weeks in length. The autumn semester runs from the end of August through the middle of January and the spring semester runs from the middle of January through June.

Post-Graduate Opportunities

Businesses value the innovative thinking, practical experience and teamwork skills that graduates of Swedish institutions possess. International students are welcome to remain in Sweden after they graduate if they can find work, especially in areas where labor shortages exist such as engineering and accounting.

Visa Requirements

Most non-EU/EEA students who plan to stay for more than three months must obtain a residence permit before they arrive in Sweden. The residence permit costs SEK 1,000 and is not refundable;

in addition, students should not apply for the permit until they have been accepted for full-time studies and paid for their first term. Students planning stays of less than three months require only a visa. Specific requirements vary by country.

Non-Nordic EU/EEA students may reside in Sweden for more than three months without a resident permit, but must register with the Migration Board within three months of arriving and demonstrate proof of higher education studies, health insurance, and living expenses.

Health Insurance

Nordic, EU/EEA and Swiss students must register for health insurance in their home country and obtain a European Health Insurance card. Sweden also has reciprocal medical benefits with some countries, so students should

check to see if they qualify for this benefit before seeking other insurance.

Students from other countries are eligible for Swedish health benefits if they are staying in Sweden for more than one year to study. This benefit is not automatic;

students must register at their local tax office and the benefit can take several months to establish. Students who are staying for less than one year must obtain their own health insurance;

however, many universities have low-cost programs for students.


International students who require a residence permit should plan their stay well in advance, as the process can be very lengthy.

Although Sweden is an EU member, the country still uses the krona (SEK) for currency. Popular credit cards such as Visa, MasterCard and Eurocard are widely accepted throughout the country.

Visa Requirements

  1. Short stay visa - if you are coming to Sweden for less than three months.
  2. Long stay visa type D (Resident permit for studies) - if you plan to stay in Sweden for longer than three months.

What type of Visa do you need?

Visa name

Short stay visa; Long stay visa type D

Price and currency

SEK 1000

The student visa application fee is currently 1000 SEK.

Who can apply for the visa?

Citizens of EU/EEA/Nordic counties can live and study in Sweden without a residence permit or visa.

Citizens of Switzerland must apply for a visa if their study lasts longer than three months. However, they can begin their studies immediately after arrival in Sweden or apply before the university admission is announced.

Students who are citizens of countries from outside the EU or EEA and want to study in Sweden will require a student visa or a residence permit. If you intend to stay in Sweden for less than three months, you will need a visa in case you are not a citizen of one of those countries that are exempted from visa requirement in Sweden. If your course of study will last more than three months, you will require a residence permit to enter and study in Sweden.

To be eligible for a residence permit, you must have been admitted to full-time studies on a program or course that requires you to be present at the university or university college.

Where can you make the application?

Online / Swedish embassy or consulate

After completing your visa application process online, you need to make an appointment with the Swedish embassy or consulate for an interview, to be photographed and fingerprinted, and to receive your residence permit card.


How to make the application?

To apply for a residence permit for studies, you’ll need to:

  • Pay your first tuition fee installment.
  • Prepare your supporting documentation. This includes copies of your passport and letter of admission as well as proving that you can support yourself financially during your time as a student in Sweden. If you’ll be staying in Sweden for less than one year, you’ll also need proof of comprehensive health insurance.
  • Submit the online application.
  • Pay the application fee.

You can find a full overview of the required documentation here:

When should you apply?

As the application process for residence permits can be lengthy, you should apply as soon as you have received your notification of admission. The current waiting time for a residence permit for studies is three months or more, so be sure to submit your application as soon as possible after paying your first tuition fee installment. A paper application takes much longer than an online application, so apply online if possible.

Visas and residence permits for international students in Sweden depend on the duration of your course of study.

Processing time

3 Months

Work opportunities

As an EU citizen, you are entitled to work in Sweden without a work permit.

Non-EU/EEA citizens will need a work permit. The employer in Sweden will apply for a work permit on your behalf.

You are allowed to work without hourly restrictions, but you are advised not to neglect your studies. You will have to prove that you have made study progress and to show satisfactory academic results.

Hours per week


Why do you need this type of visa?

Your visa application may be rejected if you are not able to show proof of the required funds, or if you provide incorrect or incomplete documents.