Keystone logo

Study Bachelor in Poland 2024

Study in Poland

The Republic of Poland is a country located in Central Europe near the Czech Republic and Germany. The country is home to 38.5 million people and it is a member of the European Union. Once a communist country, the area has a long history and unique culture. From its heritage based on Christianity to its improving economy and modern lifestyle, Poland has a great deal to offer any student, including international studies. For those who wish to pursue a business studies degree here, it is often possible to do so with a few tips.

Change currency

Basic monthly living cost

  • Rent in a shared flat

  • Share of utilities

  • Internet subscription

  • Local transportation


Sample lifestyle cost

  • Fast food combo

  • Cinema ticket

  • Pint of local beer


About Poland

Higher Education in Poland

The modern Polish higher education system uses the standard three stages of degrees: bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate. Master’s degrees are awarded as Master of Arts (MA), Master of Science (MSc), or Magister. There are also several equivalent master’s degrees, including Master of Art, Master Engineer, and Master Engineer Architect. All institutions of higher education in Poland

use the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).

Higher education institutes in Poland are divided into university-type and non-university-type. University-type courses at the master’s level are more theoretical, and graduates are awarded a “diploma of completion of uniform master-level studies.” Non-university-type courses are considered “complementary” courses that have more practical application, and graduates receive a “diploma of completion of complementary magister-level studies.”

Why Study in Poland?

Institutions of higher education in Poland offer more than 200 master’s degree programs in English. Programs are available in a wide range of academic disciplines, including agricultural science, art, engineering, business, languages, natural sciences and social sciences. The most popular disciplines are engineering (nearly 70 programs) and business (nearly 50 programs). Some programs are available in German as well.

Polish institutions are well regarded throughout the world for both education and research. Two Polish institutions, Jagiellonian University and the University of Warsaw, are among the top 400 world universities as rated by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.


Poland has approximately 500 universities and other institutions of higher education. About one-third of the higher education institutes are public and the remaining two-thirds are private. Poland welcomes international students and has significantly increased the number of foreign students in recent years. In 2012, the country hosted more than 24,000 international students from 141 countries, with the largest number coming from Ukraine, Belarus, Norway, and the US. Most foreign students in Poland study economics, business, medicine and technology.

Higher education institutions in Poland tend to specialize and are broken into a wide variety of categories, including: university, technical university, academy of agriculture, academy of economics and so on. Altogether, there are 15 different types of institutes.

Tuition and Program Duration

Polish students attending full-time programs receive free tuition at state institutions. Some foreign students may also study at no cost;

however, all others must pay tuition of €2,000 per year for master’s programs.

Master’s programs normally last for 1.5 to 2 years;

however, MSc degrees may require 2.5 years of studies beyond the bachelor’s degree. In addition to courses, students in most disciplines must complete a thesis or project and defend it before receiving the master’s degree.

Academic Year

The academic year has two semesters, each concluding with an examination period. The fall semester runs from October through mid-February and the spring semester runs from mid-February through June.

Post-Graduate Opportunities

EU citizens can work for any company in Poland after graduation without a work permit. Non-EU students may seek employment and, once they are offered a job, may apply for a work permit. Three categories of employment

do not require a work permit: university teacher, CEO of a Polish unit of a multinational company, and press correspondent.

Graduates of master’s programs in Poland may also remain for doctoral programs and research if they are admitted to an academic program.

Visa Requirements

Students from EU/EEA member countries

do not require a visa, but they need a temporary residence permit.Non-EU/EEA students must have a student visa, which can be obtained from the Polish Embassy or Consulate in their home country.However, this visa is only good for three months, so students requiring a longer stay must apply for a residence permit that covers the length of their studies.Students should contact the International Relations Office at their university for assistance in obtaining the residence permit.

Health Insurance

Health insurance is required for all students.EU students can

use their European Health Insurance Card to obtain medical services. Poland also has bilateral agreements with the United Kingdom, Sweden and Slovakia, which entitles those citizens to obtain free medical care.

Students from non-EU/EEA countries should buy health insurance in their home country or immediately after arriving in Poland. If students

do not have health insurance, they will have to pay for medical services.


Poland takes great pride in the Polish language, and courses to study Polish in the country abound. Students who are not already proficient in Polish should consider supplementing their studies with language instruction, especially if they are considering employment opportunities in Poland after they graduate. Many courses in Poland are targeted at beginners and are taught during the summer months or even online. Specialized classes focused on Polish for business are also available.

Visa Requirements

  • C type visa – a short-term Schengen visa.
  • D type visa – a long-term national visa issued for up to one year.

What type of Visa do you need?

Visa name

C type visa; D type visa

Price and currency

USD 160

The application fee for a student visa to Poland is around $160. The fees are subject to change.

Who can apply for the visa?

Students from European Union countries do not need a visa to study in Poland. However, when you have arrived in Poland, you do need to apply for a temporary study visa at the local Voivod’s office.

Students from outside the European Union typically need to apply for a student visa before entering Poland. There are, however, a number of countries that are free of this requirement. You can check if your country is on the list here:

Where can you make the application?

Polish embassy or consulate

You should apply for a student visa at the Polish embassy or consulate in your current country of residence.


How to make the application?

Once you get admission to your selected university they will send you proper documents that you will use to get your student visa. You should apply for a student visa at your nearest Polish embassy or consulate. These are the documents you may typically be asked to provide:

  • A signed and complete filled Visa Application of Poland for students.
  • Passport that must be valid for at least three months after you plan to leave Poland.
  • Photocopy of National ID card.
  • Official letter from the university or college in Poland where you plan to study.
  • A brief CV or resume.
  • All your previous certificates and diplomas.
  • Proof that you have proficiency in the language in which you wish to study.
  • Proof that you are financially strong enough to bear your educational and living expenses in Poland.
  • Health insurance certificate that is accepted in Europe.
  • Two passport-sized photos.
  • Pay the Visa Application Fee
  • Proof of Accommodation in Poland.

All students have to legalize their stay in Poland by applying for a temporary residence permit. This has to be done a short time after arrival in Poland. Universities will help you with the application procedures. A temporary residence permit entitles you to stay and work in Poland.

When should you apply?

It can typically take around 15 days to process your student visa application. However, the processing times vary depending on the country and the type of visa you are applying for. Make sure to apply as soon as possible.

The length of the student visa depends on the length of your course.

Processing time

15 Days

Work opportunities

International students have the right to work while studying in Poland as long as they are enrolled in an educational Institution. 20 hours of work are permitted during studies, as well as 3 months of full-time work during holidays. Full time work is permitted for Residence Card holders.

Hours per week


Why do you need this type of visa?

Your visa application may be rejected if you are not able to show proof of the required funds, or if you provide incorrect or incomplete documents.