Presentation / Information of the Program
You are an integral professional, with solid theoretical and quantitative training, to face the activities of analysis, planning, consultancy and consultancy in business, financial and public spheres, able to conduct processes and propose solutions to economic and social problems, in regional scenarios, National and international. You have leadership capacity to develop economic research, processes of identification and analysis of information, project management, orientation and evaluation of public policy.
Your profile as tomasino is marked by fidelity to Thomistic thinking, oriented towards justice and social equity.
Why study in the Santoto?
The Economics Program of the Universidad Santo Tomás , has a tradition of more than 50 years forming economists. More than 4,400 graduates trained under the principles of Christian humanism of Tomás de Aquino, have served as leaders in the field of public policy, managers of financial institutions, representatives of Colombia in multilateral organizations and managers in the main companies of the country.
Students can complete a double program, meeting the requirements of academic average required by the University, in order to obtain professional title in another discipline of the Division of Economic and Administrative Sciences, among which are the programs of Statistics, International Business, Business Administration, Marketing and Public Accounting.
The student, through the development of their skills and abilities, has the opportunity to interact and influence the overcoming of the needs and problems of people and communities in vulnerable conditions, under the Social Projection strategies of the Faculty of Economics, based on in a humanistic and Christian approach.
The student of last semester has the possibility among the different options of degree to take subjects in the masters that belong to the Faculty of Economics: Economic Sciences and Public Health, and to continue with their postgraduate training in those programs.
To train integral professionals, thinkers, critics and innovators, with a high entrepreneurial spirit and deep knowledge of the national economic reality, based on a high level of technical, theoretical, scientific and humanistic competence, a standard bearer of a solid Christian ethic and capable of contributing to the solution of the socioeconomic problems of the country.
Stand out in national and international scenarios for the high quality of the program, for the academic excellence of its students and professors who, in the development of Christian humanism, will intervene before organisms and decision-making bodies of collective scope, will influence the processes that affect communities, with a view to to ensure the construction of the common good and the realization of distributive justice, and thus reduce poverty and social, economic, cultural and political exclusion.
The purpose of the Economics Program is to provide a solid formation in Economic Science based on a humanist foundation that allows you to apply your knowledge in different fields of performance for the common good and social justice.
In this context, the Economics Program of Universidad Santo Tomás has the following objectives:
- To train professionals with the theoretical tools to understand the developments of economic science at a national and international level.
- Provide tools to students that allow them to evaluate, from empirical studies, the different aspects of reality, linked to economic, political and social problems.
- To relate the economic knowledge with other sciences in a way that allows to increase the analytical capacity of the students.
- Insert economic research into the cultural, social and historical context of societies.
- Integrate the economic and human aspects following the thought of Saint Thomas Aquinas and that of Father Louis Joseph Lebret, OP
- Look for the permanent construction of an economy based on solidarity between human beings and social justice.
As a tomasino economist, in accordance with the interdisciplinary nature of the curriculum, you will be able to:
- Perform efficiently in private companies, in the public sector or in international organizations, in order to contribute to the development of socio-economic diagnoses, analysis of specific problems, formulation of plans and policies, for objective decision-making.
- Act as a researcher, consultant and advisor, in financial, social, planning and project management teams, in consideration of the emphasis selected as a student, offered by the curriculum.
Strengths of the program
The Economics Program of the Universidad Santo Tomás has a flexible component to study in nine semesters, allowing emphasis on areas of interest, such as: social economy, public economy, economy of organizations and financial economy. Its main features are:
- It offers you benefits of the national and international agreements with which the Faculty of Economics has for the development of the semester of professional practices and for university exchange during the career. The international agreements are aimed at offering mobility, participation in research projects and providing a broad perspective of the economy. The universities where the student can carry out these activities are: University of Santa Catarina, in Florianópolis (Brazil); National Autonomous University of Mexico (Mexico); University of A Coruña (Spain); University of Cergy-Pontoise (France).
- It has the Center of Economic Research "Louis Joseph Lebret OP" -CIELJL, with more than 23 years of experience, which guides and is the coordinating node of the research of the Economics Program, the Master of Economic Sciences and the Master of Public Health.
- It has the CIFE Magazine "Lectura de Economía Social", recognized by Colciencias and included in more than fifty international indexes and repositories. In addition, the ISOCUANTA Electronic Journal is published, which is intended for publications of the best works by students of the Faculty of Economics.
- It gives you the possibility of linking to the Research Seeds, through which you learn to investigate research, and acquire skills and abilities to perform as an assistant in research, advice and consulting processes.
- It has a team of professors and researchers trained in important universities of the world and Colombia, with a high degree of belonging and recognized experience in the field of teaching, research and social projection.
- It regularly calls for the participation of national and foreign guest professors in the analysis of national and international issues in the field of economics and well-being.
- Fundamentals of Economics
- Economic history of Colombia
- Mathematics I
- Institutional Philosophy
- Physical culture: Henry Didón Chair
- Financial Accounting
- Microeconomics I (Consumer Theory)
- Mathematics II
- Statistics I
- History of economic thoughts
- English I
- Microeconomics II (Producer Theory)
- Macroeconomics I (Closed Economy)
- Mathematics III
- Statistics II
- Elective I
- English II
- Macroeconomics II (Open Economy)
- Mathematical Economics
- Theological culture
- Techniques of Economic Measurement and National Accounts
- English III
- Econometrics I
- Microeconomics III (Theory of General Equilibrium)
- Programming and mathematical optimization
- Emphasis Seminar I
- English IV
- Elective II
- Econometrics II
- Games theory
- Political economy
- English v
- Macroeconomics III (Dynamic Models)
- Economic development
- International economy
- Theory and Fiscal Policy
- Elective III
- Political Philosophy
- Theory and Monetary Policy
- English VI
- Elective IV
- Formulation and evaluation of projects
- Economic Situation Analysis
- Emphasis Seminar II
- Optional Chair
- Seminar on Research and Option of Degree
- Emphasis Seminar III
- Emphasis Seminar IV
- SNIES code: 1081
- Qualified registry: Resolution n ° 11071 of September 11, 2012 with effect of 7 years
- Face-to-face modality
- Title granted: Economist
- Duration: 9 Semesters
- Hours: Day - Night
- City: Main Headquarters, Bogotá DC (Carrera 9 No. 51-11)
- Accreditation: 9829 of August 21, 2012 valid for 6 years
Program taught in: