The political science program provides our students with a comprehensive understanding and appreciation of the study of politics. Students actively participate in local, state and international communities. We foster informed and empowered citizens and prepare them for successful careers in today's diverse, connected and complex world.
As a political science major, you’ll be trained to think critically about domestic and international political issues and gain a deep understanding of political institutions, processes, and value systems. You’ll also develop analytical and research skills critical to analyzing public opinion polls, statistics, laws, public policy, and the ways political issues affect national and international communities.
Political Science at Siena
Siena’s political science program will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of and appreciation for U.S. and world politics. Here, you’ll actively participate in local, state and international political arenas. You'll graduate as an informed and empowered citizen ready for a range of careers in this diverse, interconnected and complex world.
Career options for political science majors
As a political science major at Siena, you’ll graduate ready for graduate study or a career in government service, public policy, law, international affairs, education, journalism, or nonprofit and private-sector business. Our political science alumni attend graduate programs at Berkeley, the University of Michigan, the University of Texas, Rockefeller College, and Syracuse University, as well as law schools including William & Mary, Boston University, Boston College, American University, Fordham, and Albany Law.
- Commitment to shaping students as global citizens.
- Proximity to New York State’s Capital.
- Student clubs, including Model UN, Moot Court/Mock Trial and Political Science Society.
- Emphasis on development of diverse and cutting-edge research skills, including interviewing, focus groups, survey data, and content analysis.
- Established Washington Semester Program with American University.
- Senior capstone, which allows students to engage in an independent research topic of their choice.
- Travel courses to Latin America, Nordic countries and more.
Requirements for the Major (36 credits)
- POSC100 - Contemporary U.S. Politics 3 credits
- POSC130 - Political Theory 3 credits
- POSC140 - Comparative Politics 3 credits
- POSC150 - World Politics 3 credits
- POSC178 - Political Research I 4 credits
- POSC182 - Political Research II 4 credits
- POSC495 - Capstone Prep Seminar 1 credits
- POSC497 - Senior Capstone Thesis 3 credits
Political Science Electives (12 credits)
- 97% job or graduate school placement rate
- One in three pursue independent study or research
- 76% receive a master’s, doctorate or professional degree
- 66% participate in internships
- Independent research skills
- Critical thinking
- Confidence in writing and public speaking
- Ability to synthesize and/or distill large amounts of information
- Ability to make lucid, compelling and/or persuasive arguments
- Social responsibility
- Awareness of diversity and complexity
- Ability to work cross-culturally
Students who major in political science have a foundation for future careers or graduate study in government service, public policy and administration, law, international affairs, teaching, journalism and nonprofit or private sector careers.
Graduate and Professional Schools Attended by our Graduates
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Michigan
- University of Texas, Austin
- School of International Training, University of Vermont
- Maxwell School of Public Affairs, Syracuse University
- College of William and Mary
- University of Virginia
- Boston University
- Boston College
- American University
- Fordham University
- Albany Law School
Employers of our Graduates and Student Internship Sites
- Alliance for Quality Education
- American Medical Association
- Campaign for Terrance Modglin, Virginia House of Delegates
- Dow Chemical Company
- Edward Jones
- Foreign Policy Initiative
- Golub Corporation
- New York State Division of Criminal Justice
- New York State Governor’s Office
- New York State Senate’s Independent Democratic Conference
- New York State Senator David Carlucci
- New York State Senator Timothy Kennedy
- New York State Senator Kevin Parker
- New York State Unified Court System
- St. Lawrence County District Attorney’s Office
- The White House
- U.S. Army
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. House of Representatives
- U.S. Representative Chris Gibson
- U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand
Job Titles of Recent Graduates
- Account Executive
- Associate Legal Advisor
- Communications Director
- Director of Government Affairs
- General Counsel
- Legislative Aide
- Legislative Policy Analyst
- Managing Director
- Manager of Media Services
- Marketing Counsel
- Program Manager
- Public Relations Specialist
- Senior Consultant
- Senior Project Manager
- Senior Policy Analyst